Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Clutch pedal
B33fy

posted on 19/4/16 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Clutch pedal

On the home straight,Sorting out a few of the smaller jobs. Got a query with the clutch pedal. The pedal returns a lot further back than the brake pedal making it difficult to place you foot on it to apply the clutch. I presume it needs some sort of stop. There's loads of travel and the clutch works fine, (Rover hydraulic arrangement, Viento pedal box) in fact it only needs half the travel its currently got. There are a couple of holes on the pedal box either side of the clutch pedal "shaft", maybe I'm missing a few bits?

Looking for a straightforward solution What have others done with their clutches?

[Edited on 19/4/16 by B33fy]

adithorp

posted on 19/4/16 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Is the master cylinder push-rod adjustable/too long? Does screwing it further into the clevis help?

Your current stop must be the master cylinder fully returning. Just fitting a pedal stop would prevent the cylinder returning fully, which it need to. Adjusting/shortening the push rod length will lower the pedal.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

hkp57

posted on 19/4/16 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
A couple of photos might help us answer

Fleet
SKC Raptor R - Hayabusa
Toyota C-HR Hybrid Limited Edition
Honda VFR1200 CrossTourer
DCT
Marlin Roadster 1800
Mercedes Vito 116 Sport

jollygreengiant

posted on 19/4/16 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Shorten the threaded rod. It's only that long because the Clevis was bottoming out on the back of the pedal, so I adjusted the back of the clutch pedal to allow the piston to fully open in the master cylinder. Otherwise it caused back pressure on the clutch and premature wear to clutch.

I think the same needs doing to the brake pedal, I just never got around to it with the angry grinder. (If that makes sense. If not give me a bell I think you still have my number).

Edit bit
I'm kinda REALLY old Skool where we drove around problems rather than fix them, until they made the car stop, having to replace the clutch after only about 500 miles was rather expensive so I cured the problem intending to finesse everything at a later date but time and money got the better of me. Hence different height on the pedals. I just never got to sort the brake pedal and then get them both a more reasonable height. The pedal box was originally for a cable set up (Ford Cortina/Granada Type 9 cable operated with an option for hydraulic, which I took. so the extra holes are for the cable pedal option. (if that makes sense)

[Edited on 19/4/16 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

B33fy

posted on 19/4/16 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Clive, thanks, it all makes sense now.. Shouldn't be too tricky to sort.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.