Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CoPilot smart phone satnav on Android
nick205

posted on 20/4/16 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
CoPilot smart phone satnav on Android

Hello All,

Having used the CoPilot sat nav app before on my old HTC phone and been very happy with it I installed the app on my new Samsung phone. I've paid for the UK maps (£20) and for the 3D + voice feature (£15) and have receipts for both. Now I have to say I'm really hacked off as neither bl00dy work

After much trying I finally contacted CoPilot technical support today for help. They've answered very quickly with a list of things to try and an offer to help create a licence if it doesn't work. I'm pleased they've been fast to help and will try tonight to get it working - fingers crossed as it was a good app before and I hope still is!

As a question does anyone else use it or indeed any other smart phone sat nav apps?

nick205

posted on 20/4/16 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Well the first tip to "restore" seemed to "restore", but still no working app

I've now given them my login details to see if they can do anything - so upset it doesn't work after paying for it

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 20/4/16 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
don't use co-pilot, but have used tomtom on an old windows phone, was great inc itns.

I bought a tomtom classic xl to keep the itn functionality.

for android as a backup i got

OsmAnd

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.osmand&hl=en_GB

you get some maps for free, perhaps even all the uk, and you can import a garmin gpx file.

I used it on the skcc euro road trip last year and I reckon I could have used it instead of tomtom, if I had got my head round how to use the app a bit more to make is easier. the interface is a bit harder work.

the paid version that lets you get rid of adds and access to all maps, is only a few quid.

might help you out if you are going to end up returning copilot.

if you don't need itn / gpx functionality navmii is ok too..

I mention both of these as they have offline map functionality. google maps has this now too, if you get it to download somehow first.

good luck!

[Edited on 20/4/16 by Chris_Xtreme]

Slimy38

posted on 20/4/16 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
I just use google maps, it's served me well for a few years now. The only issue is the need to download maps in real time, there is a technique to download them before you travel but I never got it to work. And in any case, if I tried it I would lose the live traffic updates so I leave it connected.

It uses so much battery though, I have to keep it constantly plugged in to a high amp power socket. Although I believe that's the GPS rather than the software?

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 20/4/16 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon it is the screen being on that is the biggest power user.
rgrs

posted on 20/4/16 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
here maps

I used this in the states recently, downloaded maps it worked very well, and oh and it's free !

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 20/4/16 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rgrs
here maps

I used this in the states recently, downloaded maps it worked very well, and oh and it's free !

oh yes, that is why I had a niggle when writing down navmii, I switched to here as the free one of choice for me / friends etc

not itinerary import tho.

ragindave

posted on 20/4/16 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
I use co-pilot Android on my Samsung S5 and this is the third device I have had it on no problems at all licence carry’s over I use it in europe on my motorcycle as well its been reliable and great value when its been on offer for Uk maps at £15.99 and Europe at £19.99.
loggyboy

posted on 20/4/16 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
I just use google maps as it has built in nav for free.
However my samsung s5 minis GPS is so poo and unreliable. Its strange as the S4 Mini i had before was fine.
Im forced to use a blutooth gps module to get it working well.

Mistral Motorsport

BenB

posted on 20/4/16 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
I think there's an issue in the algorithm the phones use to combine wifi location data with GPS data. I have a s4 mini and mine wanders like crazy (so I guess your mileage can vary!!!!)- I can stand still and the pointer moves around on the map (sometimes by 100M). I wonder if it's picking up and dropping off wifi signals and that's over-riding the more accurate GPS. Just a guess.
scott h

posted on 20/4/16 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
I use Google maps on a Samsung Galaxy 5 and I really like it. I have an old sat nav but hardly use it now. I usually plug in the charger as the batttery on the phone does run down otherwise. There is an option to blank the screen between instructions to save the battery but I've never tried it. Google maps does use data and means the phone can't be used for other things like music but it will still answer calls. It has live traffic and if you keep it updated it always has the latest maps. And it's free!
Slimy38

posted on 20/4/16 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris_Xtreme
I reckon it is the screen being on that is the biggest power user.

Yep that's quite possible. There is an option to have the screen blanked between turns but it's actually quite distracting because you lose the context of the directions. If the screen is on all the time it's easier to glance every so often and keep track of the map against your surroundings.

Oddly enough, my S2 was horrendous for location lock, if I actually started travelling before it got a lock I could go an entire journey without it catching up. The Moto G is the polar opposite, it's got a lock as soon as the GPS switches on, and maintains it extremely accurately.

Slimy38

posted on 20/4/16 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scott h
the phone can't be used for other things like music but it will still answer calls.

You can still listen to music, just use the home button to come out of maps. It'll carry on navigating in the background.

I start my navigation, then switch to winamp to queue up music, then back to maps to have it on screen. If I swipe down, I get the winamp control pad to fast forward, rewind etc. If I'm about to get to a junction, the music pauses and the map voice does her job.

By the way, here's a question for the masses (bit OT). If you have the choice of male or female voice guidance, which one do you choose?

SJ

posted on 20/4/16 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Here maps is I think Nokias old sat nav. The great thing about it is you can download the maps and use it offline so great abroad when you might get large data charges.
ianhurley20

posted on 20/4/16 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
I use Navmii on my Samsung (not sure if its an S4 or S5 mini) and it works brill. I also have a proper Garmin sat nav - its appalling! takes you off roads down back lanes and back on the road you were on, takes me down roads too narrow for a motor bike sometimes, have altered all the settings but still useless, my old Navman was brilliant but its now defunct.
So I am staying with Navmii
(and its free)

Ben_Copeland

posted on 21/4/16 at 05:43 AM Reply With Quote
I binned my Tom Tom in favour of my iPhone and Waze app. Best navigation app around and it's free. Most up to date traffic, maps, cameras etc. Amazing in London.

No need to pay for navigation apps anymore.

Also available on android etc

You can also listen to music and take calls while in use. Overlays instructions if you wish it too or not if you don't

[Edited on 21/4/16 by Ben_Copeland]

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

ragindave

posted on 21/4/16 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
All the ones mentioned so far rely on real time data transfer to work co pilot does not, you download a complete map pack onto your device and it works just as a sat nav would
ianhurley20

posted on 21/4/16 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ragindave
All the ones mentioned so far rely on real time data transfer to work co pilot does not, you download a complete map pack onto your device and it works just as a sat nav would

Navmii does not require a live internet connection either, download a map pack for any country in the world as a new installation and its free, small extra charges if you want stupid voices or several countries on one installation is how they make money.

SJ

posted on 21/4/16 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

quote: Originally posted by ragindave All the ones mentioned so far rely on real time data transfer to work co pilot does not, you download a complete map pack onto your device and it works just as a sat nav would Navmii does not require a live internet connection either, download a map pack for any country in the world as a new installation and its free, small extra charges if you want stupid voices or several countries on one installation is how they make money.

Here doesn't as I said above, all maps can be downloaded and used off line.

geoff shep

posted on 21/4/16 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
I use TomTom on an iPhone, but it is also available on Android. Avoid TomTom Go though as it is pants - it looks like 'my first satnav'.

The TT app is cheaper than a standalone, with free map updates for life etc. The maps are pre-loaded so it doesn't need a data signal - so it still works in rural areas, and overseas without data roaming. It takes up a fair chunk of memory but you can delete overseas maps, and re-install for free next time you go if that is an issue. You do need data for traffic info, which I use in uk, but don't bother elsewhere. You can select destinations from your contacts if required.

There are a few TT niggles in that it often gets junction priorities wrong, so when it tells you the next event is a turn 10 miles away, it will often have missed the 'go straight on at the crossroads in 5 miles'. The other regular annoyance is it constantly telling me to 'keep right' on the motorway when it really means don't turn off - so could just ignore it. On the other hand, lane guidance at complicated motorway junctions is very good - especially overseas.

nick205

posted on 21/4/16 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
OK - after following CoPilot's tech support guidance I uninstalled and reinstalled CoPilot GPS on my Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini phone. This worked and downloaded the UK & Ireland maps fine. However the 3D voice routing still just doesn't work - most irratating

With the above fail I had a go at installing it on my iPad. It installed fine and downloaded the UK & Ireland maps. The 3D voice guided navigation worked straight away with no issues - well done Apple

So today, time to batter CoPilot again and email them my receipts for what I've paid for. If they can't make it work on my phone I'll keep going until they refund the money and I'll find another sat nav app.

Not happy at all!

Slimy38

posted on 21/4/16 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by geoff shep
The other regular annoyance is it constantly telling me to 'keep right' on the motorway

Ah, there must be loads of BMW drivers who have that installed then...

DJT

posted on 21/4/16 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Years ago sold my Garmin sat nav as it was very buggy. For half the sale price I bought the full Europe Copilot (£40?). Been using it for years with no problem and never had to pay any more. It is useful as it will take route of multiple waypoints when out on a blat with the club. Also does not need data when on the continent.

For commuting I use Waze as the traffic info is very useful. However, its next to useless in the countryside as it is dependent on a good data connection.

http://tigeravonbuilddiary.blogspot.com/

nick205

posted on 22/4/16 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Well it has to be said that CoPilot's tech support are rather pointless. The app works fine on my iPad, but simply doesn't wotk on my Samsung phone. CoPilot tech support have given up and said yes to a refund. I'm packing it up and going to try something else now

A shame as it was a good app and worked well for me before on my old HTC phone.

Slimy38

posted on 22/4/16 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Well it has to be said that CoPilot's tech support are rather pointless. The app works fine on my iPad, but simply doesn't wotk on my Samsung phone. CoPilot tech support have given up and said yes to a refund. I'm packing it up and going to try something else now

A shame as it was a good app and worked well for me before on my old HTC phone.

The joys of Android vs Apple. If you consider the variations of Android software and hardware are pretty much as vast as you can imagine, but Apple only usually cover maybe half a dozen combinations, it's not surprising that Android apps have issues far more than Apple.

Of course, it's still not a good enough reason for me to buy Apple...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.