Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: An unexpected invoice, should I pay?
tegwin

posted on 25/4/16 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
An unexpected invoice, should I pay?

So I asked a green energy plumbing company to come and have a look at my grandmothers heat pump to provide a quote to either remove and replace or to repair it as it was leaking refrigerant.

The big boss dropped in and was there for about 15 mins to look things over, he then said he would need to get his refrigeration guy to come and have a look the next day. This chap turned up and set about looking for a leak, using nitrogen to pressurize the system. I guess he was there for about 2 hours total.

The guy found a small hole but wanted £500 to fix it, so I said no and decided to scrap the machine as it simply wasn't worth the cost to repair it.

This morning I receive an invoice for "attend site to locate leak, advise client that unit is beyond reasonable economic repair" £74. Plus £5.22 for nitrogen plus VAT.

Now at no point what so ever was any cost/price/fee mentioned or discussed, had he told me it was going to be nearly £100 to do the above I would have told him to do a runner...

I'm pretty peeved that he has decided to invoice me.... we had no agreement or contract and I do not feel that I should be paying him anything! Am I being naive? Should I have expected a charge to look for the leak?

What should I do?

[Edited on 25/4/16 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

owelly

posted on 25/4/16 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
"So I asked a green energy plumbing company to come and have a look"......
Did you expect them to work for free?

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 25/4/16 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
"So I asked a green energy plumbing company to come and have a look"......
Did you expect them to work for free?

I would expect them to inform me of a charge and form at least a verbal contract.

Mistral Motorsport

tegwin

posted on 25/4/16 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
no not at all, I expected a quote, I was given one (£500)... decided it was a crazy price to repair a tiny hole and declined to accept it... so I am basically being invoiced to provide the quote...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

DRM Black7

posted on 25/4/16 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure why you'd expect someone to spend 2 hours of his time and effort for nothing? Would you work for free? I would of asked how much before anyone walked through the door.
Minicooper

posted on 25/4/16 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
I would expect to pay a call out fee

David

tegwin

posted on 25/4/16 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
I asked for a quote to repair it, if there was to be a charge for this I would have like to have been told...

sdh2903

posted on 25/4/16 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Buy if the guy was there 2 hours? Yes I agree should have been verbally agreed but you can't expect 2 hours labour for free? If it was a quick look-see I agree I'd tell em to bugger off.
tegwin

posted on 25/4/16 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Its a fair comment but when he turned up to have a look I would have expected a "I can look further but it will cost X/Y".... At which point I would have said no....

Clearly a lesson here for me that I should ask several times about costs...

Its a shame because had he not wanted a crazy figure to repair the leak I would have hired him...

SeaBass

posted on 25/4/16 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
I would have expected Big Boss man to say: "mmm. I'll need to get my refrigeration guy to come and take a detailed look but just to let you know there will be a charge for this as it could take a couple of hours and use up some consumables. After that we can give you quotes as you've requested."

Doh - too slow.

[Edited on 25/4/16 by SeaBass]

tegwin

posted on 25/4/16 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
I would have expected Big Boss man to say: "mmm. I'll need to get my refrigeration guy to come and take a detailed look but just to let you know there will be a charge for this as it could take a couple of hours and use up some consumables. After that we can give you quotes as you've requested."

Doh - too slow.

[Edited on 25/4/16 by SeaBass]

That is preciesley what I would have expected!

adithorp

posted on 25/4/16 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Did you ask how much it would cost to turn out and test the system? Did they tell you it was a free service? Do you think the big boss wasnt paying his engineer?

Unless I was told otherwise, I'd expect to be charged for a call out.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

tegwin

posted on 25/4/16 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Whats the difference between a callout and a quote? I summoned the chap to give me a quote....

Plumber needed to be more forthcoming about what was going to cost what.... and I should have been more pressing to find out what was going to cost what....

I guess I am going to have to pay, rather reluctantly, for my error....

loggyboy

posted on 25/4/16 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Whilst its reasonable to expect to pay someone, equally you should be told.
If I walked in to an electrical store and talked to advisor for half an hour about TVs or PCs etc, I wouldnt expect them to charge for that.

Mistral Motorsport

hizzi

posted on 25/4/16 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
pay up and be thankfull they came out without charging you first !
i wouldnt come out to your boiler without a level of authorised payment first.

britishtrident

posted on 25/4/16 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Both the charge and the quote seem very reasonable.
If you put a car in for a diagnostic you pay for that even if it is beyond economic repair.
There is a difference from getting a quote and getting an expert to do a diagnosis.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

tegwin

posted on 25/4/16 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Both the charge and the quote seem very reasonable.
If you put a car in for a diagnostic you pay for that even if it is beyond economic repair.
There is a difference from getting a quote and getting an expert to do a diagnosis.

Couldnt agree more, but if you ask for a quote and instead end up with an expert in to diagnose without mentioning that it's going to cost £x....thats not really cricket... but more fool me...

[Edited on 25/4/16 by tegwin]

40inches

posted on 25/4/16 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
From my point of view, I give free estimates, don't have a call out charge, but charge for a Quote.
rm0rgan

posted on 25/4/16 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Whilst its reasonable to expect to pay someone, equally you should be told.
If I walked in to an electrical store and talked to advisor for half an hour about TVs or PCs etc, I wouldnt expect them to charge for that.

Ah, but the difference is you went to them....they didn't bring a load of TV's or PC's to you :-)

To the OP - I'd expect a call out charge if I was calling a trades person to come out and inspect something, especially given he was there for a few hours. That said I'd probably have asked what the charge would be beforehand or expected them to tell me there would be one - either way though I'd expect a charge of some sort.

You could ignore it/contest it/go to a small claims or, given the cost pay up - sub £40 an hour ex VAT is not a bad rate!

Sigs are uncool.

cliftyhanger

posted on 25/4/16 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
From what I have read, the OP asked for a quotation, and at no point was he told a charge would be made. I would be very miffed to be landed with a bill under those circumstances.
OK, the bloke took a while to do the diagnosis, BUT he should have explained that a charge would be made.

The "boss" should have been clear, and said he couldn't see anything obvious, and a diagnosis would be £50 or whatever.

As an aside, it seems boiler fixers are doing this now, they charge for a diagnosis if you don't get them to fix the boiler. It seems people get them in to find the fault, don't have it done but buy the bits off ebay

rf900rush

posted on 25/4/16 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
I thought most businesses quote for free on the basis they may get work from it.

How many are charged to sit through hours, listening to crap, getting a double glazing quote.
It's the risk the business takes.

Though a bit unfair to call them out for free, but the charges should of been made clear from the start.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 25/4/16 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Whats a heat pump?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

tegwin

posted on 25/4/16 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Whats a heat pump?

A backwards aircon unit.... takes heat from the air and puts it back into the house..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_source_heat_pumps

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 25/4/16 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Ideally in a business scenario, all costs should be explained, and preferably, put in writing beforehand. At a minimum I'd want something verbally, that'd I'd confirm in writing. Otherwise next time I stop to have a chat with someone at the pub, I'll leave them an invoice for my time on the way out.... But in respect to the OP's question, I'd be a bit miffed at receiving an unwarranted bill without prior agreement or notification. Most companies will charge for a diagnosis and sometimes deduct it from the cost of remedial work carried out by them. I wouldn't just pay it, but call the company back and express your disappointment - then see if you can negotiate a mutually agreeable fee to pay.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

harmchar

posted on 25/4/16 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Think the confusion was answered further up the post. An "estimate" is normally free and is a ball park figure. But a "quote" on a mechanical problem like this requires the engineer to analyse the problem before coming up with detailed "quote". But the engineer should really have pointed that out before getting tools out.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.