Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Towing a car on a rope on a public road
sonic

posted on 4/5/16 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Towing a car on a rope on a public road

Hi all

Is it still legal to tow a broken down car on a tow rope if its taxed and tested on public roads ?

morcus

posted on 4/5/16 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
I could be wrong but I thought it was only legal to recover it from the road to the nearest safe place.

I don't think the police like it because it is quite dangerous.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Toprivetguns

posted on 4/5/16 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
I have a solid towing bar that I use in emergency, better than a rope.

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

loggyboy

posted on 4/5/16 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Its a grey area - but if it is taxed and insure and they cant prove you arent 'recovering' then theres nothing much they can do.
Ive towed back cars for one reason or an other from fairly long distances, you just obviously avoid the Motorways!
As above, a bar does make like a lot easier.

Mistral Motorsport

sonic

posted on 4/5/16 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
So is towing with a bar legal then?, do they do bars that collapse for storage or are they just a solid bar of a certain length?

I have always kept a tow rope stored away in my boot just in case and a friend of mine said that it is illegal to use it now so can a bar of some type be bought small enough that say telescopes out so it can be kept in a boot.

loggyboy

posted on 4/5/16 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sonic
So is towing with a bar legal then?, do they do bars that collapse for storage or are they just a solid bar of a certain length?

I have always kept a tow rope stored away in my boot just in case and a friend of mine said that it is illegal to use it now so can a bar of some type be bought small enough that say telescopes out so it can be kept in a boot.

From the askthe.police website:

When the vehicles are attached solely by a rope or chain, the maximum distance allowed between the vehicles is 4.5 metres.

If the distance between the two vehicles exceeds 1.5 metres then the rope or chain must be made clearly visible within a reasonable distance from either side to other road users. This is usually done by tying a coloured flapping cloth in the middle of the rope or chain.

The person in the broken down vehicle must be a qualified driver as he is actually driving it. A further point is that if it is dark then the broken down vehicle must have its lights on as it would under normal circumstances.

no mentioned of insurance, road tax or limitations etc. hence why its a grey area.

from the highway code
'In the event of a breakdown, be aware that towing a vehicle on a tow rope is potentially dangerous. You should consider professional recovery.'

So no mention of it not being legal there either.

[Edited on 4-5-16 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

tr7v8

posted on 4/5/16 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Perfectly legal. But the car being towed should be taxed, insured & MOT'd as its wheels are "on the road"
A bar is better & if you do it more than occasionally then it is worth getting one, I think ours was £30 or so from Machine Mart.

Jim
2005 Porsche Cayenne S
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Sold
2010 Maxda MX5 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S (now sold)
Light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak.

sonic

posted on 4/5/16 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks very much guys, that is conclusive as being legal then

Thank you

myke pocock

posted on 4/5/16 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
So, if you tow with an A frame the vehicle you are towing is technically a trailer and therefore needs brakes if over a certain weight in relation to the towing vehicle. (I know theres a lot more technical stuff here but I wont go in to that) So why is it therefore legal to tow on a rope or even a bar. Doesnt sound right to me.
robinj66

posted on 4/5/16 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hopefully this provides an answer Using a Tow Rope

[Edited on 4/5/16 by robinj66]

SteveWalker

posted on 4/5/16 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by myke pocock
So, if you tow with an A frame the vehicle you are towing is technically a trailer and therefore needs brakes if over a certain weight in relation to the towing vehicle. (I know theres a lot more technical stuff here but I wont go in to that) So why is it therefore legal to tow on a rope or even a bar. Doesnt sound right to me.

Because with a rope or a bar you have a driver in the second vehicle, steering (so it is not simply a trailer) and operating the brakes.

Having used both ropes and bars, I'd always go for a bar if possible. Far less stressful and dangerous.

[Edited on 4/5/16 by SteveWalker]

nick205

posted on 5/5/16 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
I have towed cars with a rope before, not overly safe as there's a reasonable chance of the driver of the towed vehicle going into the back of you IMHO. However I've not been told it's illegal to do so and never been given any stick for doing it. I wouldn't go far though!

tr7v8

posted on 5/5/16 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Takes practice a few years ago a mate & I used to tow on a rope, a lot. When you get practised you can be both safe & quick!

Jim
2005 Porsche Cayenne S
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Sold
2010 Maxda MX5 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S (now sold)
Light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.