Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Saab Turbo Sierra
zilspeed

posted on 21/12/04 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Saab Turbo Sierra

Yet another interesting engine conversion. The important bit here of course is that he's got a Saab 2.3 turbo engine configure for RWD.

Theres some Videos of it as well.
Sierra Saab Turbo Video 1
Sierra Saab Turbo Video 2 Rescued attachment Pannrummet.jpg
Rescued attachment Pannrummet.jpg

Volvorsport

posted on 21/12/04 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
hmm , interesting , and it should be noted that a SAAB engine is one the best engines to modify being capable of lots of hp with out internal modification reportedly +400 hp

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

NS Dev

posted on 21/12/04 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
I am considering building a class 10 grasstrack special with that engine in. It bolts straight onto several GM gearboxes, as these were what was used on the later SAAB's.

For longitudinal installation it fits the manta/carlton 1800 gearbox, but this will be very marginal with the power. However the RWD 'box from the late Omegas will also fit, and you can use an adaptor bellhousing (caterham/westy type one for a 16v XE) to fit a ford gearbox, and use a Quaife dog 'box if you go to real extremes power wise.

My grasser would be transverse engined like the XE powered one in my photo archive on here, and I would use the F20 gearbox, with modified internals from Steve Walford Motorsport (which would hopefully take the torque?!)

zetec

posted on 21/12/04 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Any idea what they weigh? Also loads of cheap Volvo 2.3 and turdos about with 5 speed boxes or are they too heavy. I've got a 2ltr turbo 940 and does pull well with very little lag.
Volvorsport

posted on 21/12/04 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
theres a guy in lincoln building a saab engine grasser - its in a 205 shell with transverse box - he owns a garage in thorpe on the hill (feathers garage) and dave is his name - does good for injector cleaning ( got his own machine)

re zetec : weight wise theyre the same as a pinto - depending on how you dress them .

if you read all of my posts youll find all the info you need , but if you want more info - send me a mail - i can give you details of engine mods etc

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

Metal Hippy

posted on 21/12/04 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
I deliver to Mick Feather does I...

There's always 2 or 3 old Saabs looking like they could do with scrappig outside...

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

david walker

posted on 21/12/04 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Yes and I'm doing the fancy bits for that engine Mr Hippy

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

Dale

posted on 21/12/04 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
what does a fully dressed pinto engine weigh anyway.
Is the Saab a twin cam or single--head looks wide enough to be a twin.
Thanks Dale

Volvorsport

posted on 22/12/04 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
well ,, isnt it a small community !

saab is 16v DOHC

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

NS Dev

posted on 22/12/04 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Ahhhh, question for Dave Walker...........

What box is being used with the saab engine in the 205 grasser? Is it a GBZ jobbie or an F20 based one?

I am (intending straight after christmas) getting an uprated F20 built by Steve Walford (chap from Melton Club with the 2.9 VR6 engined Nova class 6, which runs this 'box) and the maximum power that cam be put through this is unknown. He is removing 3rd 4th and 5th, and putting in wider gears for first and second, obviously with better ratios (first is the same as the old second and second is about halfway between second and third).

The cost of doing this is a lot more reasonable than a GBZ jobbie (£500 vs nearly £3000), but then I cant imagine that the reliability will be as good. No doubt fine with my 200hp vauxhall, but maybe not so good with the saab turbo????

Any opinions?

david walker

posted on 22/12/04 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Nat,

The car that has been mentioned above (the SAAB turbo) is Dave Onions' ST7. He ran it this last season with the std fueling system and turbo controlled by an Emerald ECU. It was making about 300bhp. It ran through the std (I think 9.3) Saab box. With the turbo the ratios are less critical. It ate clutches!

I don't think I'm giving sectrets away but for this next season it will run a hybrid turbo, we have got the capacity out a fair bit, bigger valves and a few other bits. It will probably be wound up to about 400bhp. I am currently doing some crank work and fitting a multiplate Tilton cluch. He plans to retain the std box. In my opinion it will not be up to the job. If it isn't it will get a GBZ.

By the way a GBZ box with ratios is a little more than you may think. The Class 5 that will be at the show with one of my motors is fitted with a brand new GBZ and it cost £4100 all up - the box that is!

I'm watching the Steve Walford thingy with interest. If he can do it at a sensible price then he will sell them. The Quaiffe kits for the F20 are about £1500 as you probably know and ratio choice isn't that good.

Rorty

posted on 23/12/04 at 05:22 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not familiar with the GBZ and F20. What are their origins?

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Volvorsport

posted on 23/12/04 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
F20 , is a vauxhall astra/cavalier box , FWD - not sure about the GBZ - it must be tha saab box - but obviously based on the vauxhall since they based the engine on 2 litre 16v .

And yeah , Dave onion , is the one with the grasser , ill be down there i the new year with some 480cc/min injectors that came from US for $70 per 10

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

garage19

posted on 23/12/04 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Would you like to sell a set of four of these injectors????

Volvorsport

posted on 23/12/04 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
ill do a group buy post , see what i can come up with , theyre supposed to be for my two T5 engines .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

NS Dev

posted on 23/12/04 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Volvorsport - The GBZ 'box is a completely bespoke gearbox used in grasstrack cars, built (mainly) by Geoff Berrisford Engineering. It uses Hewland internals and is 2 speed+ reverse (as far as I know, it used to be anyway!)

Dave Walker - I spoke to Steve Walford again yesterday, and I'm taking my spare F20 down to him on the 27th December. Apparently he already has some gears machined, and has had a LOT of interest in the F20 kits!!

Mine will be a bit of a guinea pig as I race at the same club as him so any mucking about with the 'box will be easier! Steve doubted the strength of the 'box with a highly boosted Saab turbo, but the proof would have to come form the pudding!!!

Merry Christmas all!

Friberg

posted on 25/12/04 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
F20 , is a vauxhall astra/cavalier box , FWD - not sure about the GBZ - it must be tha saab box - but obviously based on the vauxhall since they based the engine on 2 litre 16v .

I'm not sure if I have misunderstood you - but the Saab engine pictured in the beginning of the thread is not based on a Opel/Vauxhall engine. It is Saabs own engine.

I am building with the 2 litre version in my Locost and am using a gear box from an Omega 2,5 V6 -97 http://www.sonett7.net/engine.html

krlthms

posted on 26/12/04 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Friberg
quote:

I'm not sure if I have misunderstood you - but the Saab engine pictured in the beginning of the thread is not based on a Opel/Vauxhall engine. It is Saabs own engine.

I am building with the 2 litre version in my Locost and am using a gear box from an Omega 2,5 V6 -97 http://www.sonett7.net/engine.html

I think the SAAB engine was originally derived from the Triumph Dolomite Sprint engine.
KT

NS Dev

posted on 27/12/04 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Nobody said the SAAB engine was GM based!

The GEARBOX used in the SAAB is a GM gearbox, the F25 I believe as used in the V6 Vectra, which is why it will fit the Omega 'box in your locost!

Yes, the SAAB engine was originally based on the Triumph 4 cyl but has evolved a long way since and now bears little/no relation to it.

DEAN C.

posted on 28/12/04 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,I'm watching this topic with some interest as I drive a 2000 saab 93 coupe as my daily runner,the engine is superb.
I've driven a lot of cars in my time and the Saab is a very smooth capable and underestimated engine.
One of its best qualities is it's lack of turbo lag due to it being on low boost all of the time,hence the "low blow" tag.
It is nice and easy to get another 70 bhp just with a chip and air filter change,and good economy as well.
This has got to be a contender for anyone facying a zetec or vauxhall twin.
Dont know how quick they are in a locost but it soon gets to three figures in my road car,on a track of course!

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

Volvorsport

posted on 29/12/04 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
I mentioned the GM link , unfortunately i didnt look hard enough - isnt it about 94 onwards that Saab did base the 16v engine of the time on GM , but with balancer shafts etc ?

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

david walker

posted on 30/12/04 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
That's right, it lost its Triumph heritage some years back.

Saab are now part of GM and lots of the product are the same.

NS Dev

posted on 31/12/04 at 12:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I mentioned the GM link , unfortunately i didnt look hard enough - isnt it about 94 onwards that Saab did base the 16v engine of the time on GM , but with balancer shafts etc ?

I thought the gearbox link was well before this, all the 9000's that I have seen seem to use the vauxhall box. There seemed to be a big alloy plate on the back of the saab engine to attach it to the gearbox.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.