Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hydraulic Pipe Bender
Steelman

posted on 9/5/16 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Hydraulic Pipe Bender

Has anyone got a hydraulic pipe bend I could borrow \ hire who lives near Sheffield
nick205

posted on 9/5/16 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
What do you need to bend and what are you making?

Could be easier to get it done by a fabricator with experience.

MikeR

posted on 9/5/16 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hopefully not teaching you to suck eggs - but this comes up occasionally.

pipe and tube are different things. Pipe benders don't bend tube they tend to kink it.

Roll bars are tube.

nick205

posted on 9/5/16 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Hopefully not teaching you to suck eggs - but this comes up occasionally.

pipe and tube are different things. Pipe benders don't bend tube they tend to kink it.

Roll bars are tube.

Are you referring to the difference between welded pipe, which has a seam of weld down the length and CDS, being drawn seamless pipe and generally more expensive, but stronger?

MikeR

posted on 9/5/16 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
[im no expert - i just got this from reading on here]

pipe and tube differ by how they're measured. pipe is measured by its ID and tube its OD hence the former for one won't work on the other without kinking due to the pipe / tube not being fully supported whilst being bent.

indykid

posted on 10/5/16 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
I'd go see Martin Keenan (MK Engineering, not sports cars) in Bawtry.

I presume he still has tube bending tackle, though from the website (mkengineering.co.uk), he's scaled back his operation.

posted on 10/5/16 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
My roll bar is made from pipe and I bent it using a pipe bender.

It's from 1.5" Nominal Bore, Schedule 10, 316L.

( That's about 48mm o.d. with a 3mm wall. )

I much prefer to think of it as the high level brake light mounting bracket though.
For road use (IMHO) I think that I'm far more likely to be rear ended than roll the car over.

Paul G

nick205

posted on 10/5/16 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907

I much prefer to think of it as the high level brake light mounting bracket though.
For road use (IMHO) I think that I'm far more likely to be rear ended than roll the car over.

Paul G

Interesting and I would agree that in normal road use a collision and side/front/rear impact are more likely than a roll. Rear end impact risks the fuel tank and side impact doesn't have much protection to the people in the car. Frontal impact also IMHO risks the occupants legs as the car is likely to deform a fair bit. All that said, I don't see that most cages offer much additional front/rear protection although I have seen some with side impact bars fitted, which may help in side impacts. The issue is IMHO that most cages are an addition to the car and not a structural part of the chassis itself.

prawnabie

posted on 10/5/16 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Originally posted by 907

Paul G

Interesting and I would agree that in normal road use a collision and side/front/rear impact are more likely than a roll. Rear end impact risks the fuel tank and side impact doesn't have much protection to the people in the car. Frontal impact also IMHO risks the occupants legs as the car is likely to deform a fair bit. All that said, I don't see that most cages offer much additional front/rear protection although I have seen some with side impact bars fitted, which may help in side impacts. The issue is IMHO that most cages are an addition to the car and not a structural part of the chassis itself.

Says the man who rolled a 205! (iirc!)

prawnabie

posted on 10/5/16 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Originally posted by 907

Paul G

Says the man who rolled a 205! (iirc!)

posted on 10/5/16 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
The accident I fear the most is the side impact.

When out driving the Suttol every junction I pass or pull out of seems to have a vehicle menacingly positioned ready
to imbed itself in my right ear. The bonnet edge seems just the wrong height.

Can you get airbags that explode out of the side arms of your sunglasses ?

Paul G

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.