Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Captive Nuts Fibreglass
OliilO

posted on 11/5/16 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Captive Nuts Fibreglass

My dashboard is currently attached with a series of nuts and bolts which is a pain to remove if necessary as it involves reaching through the scuttle to hold the nuts whilst undoing the bolts. As such, I want to make the nuts captive.

I've seen the big head fasteners which look ideal other than the fact they're about £2.50 each which seems extortionate. Are there any other suitable fasteners to bind/fibreglass in for this purpose? I could obviously create my own big head fasteners but I'm sure there must be a simpler solution. Would a rivnut with a large flange fibreglassed to the back work?

A more budget solution would be greatly appreciated!

loggyboy

posted on 11/5/16 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Well nuts in a tight fitting hole would be better in FG. Rivnuts wiuld either crack FG when fitting or over time. Rubber would give good vibration damping.

Mistral Motorsport

wylliezx9r

posted on 11/5/16 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
I've used riv nuts on Fibre glass. Hasn't given me any problems. Just be sure to drill a nice clean hole.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

OliilO

posted on 11/5/16 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
I was more thinking of using it in a similar fashion to the big head fasteners rather than in a conventional sense.

I'm not that keen on rivnuts in general, when there is usually a more permanent solution.

twybrow

posted on 11/5/16 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
I made bigheads using some drilled alu sheet and a rivnut, and then bonded on with PU adhesive. They hold my wheel arches on and are rock solid after 7 years. As above, I also have used rivnuts directly in fibreglass - I used a washer on the back sidenof the panel to help spread the load. They have not cracked, but I would not recommend it.
OliilO

posted on 11/5/16 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
That's a much easier way to make big heads than getting the welder out - might give it a go at the weekend.
matty h

posted on 11/5/16 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
I have used spire nuts in the past same as spire clips but instead of using self tappers they take bolts.
Matty

james h

posted on 11/5/16 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
I've had no issues with rivnuts for my dash (4mm button head bolts). I use them to keep the rear arches on too - they've been absolutely fine.

I use a ramp style tool to fit them.

ste

posted on 11/5/16 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
i used these from halfords

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycle-accessories/gtmoto-aluminium-screen-screws-black

posted on 12/5/16 at 05:00 AM Reply With Quote
You could use Dzus quarter turn fasteners with a riveted backplate ?

You do however have to make sure you order the right length.

Short of making something you are going to have to pay for them.
If you spend time cutting backplates, drilling them, and inserting Rivnuts suddenly your "extortionate" price seems cheaper.

HTH
Paul G

Quarter turn, rivet backplate
Quarter turn, rivet backplate

Photo courtesy of eBay

[Edited on 12/5/16 by 907]

Slimy38

posted on 12/5/16 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
This might sound a little odd, but isn't all that going to be a case of over engineering? If you just want the nuts to stay in place while you put the bolts in, couldn't you use superglue on the existing fixings? I'm assuming you're not applying mega torque to the dashboard bolts, superglue would be more than enough to hold it in place.

Maybe for a bit of extra confidence, glue a penny washer on to the FG first, then a nut to the washer.

[Edited on 12/5/16 by Slimy38]

Smoking Frog

posted on 12/5/16 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Here's a locost way of how I fitted my front wings. Maybe it will give you ideas. The nut is a "T" nut cheap as chips on ebay.
Frontwing fixingA
Frontwing fixingA

Frontwing fixingB
Frontwing fixingB

The aluminium plates were fibre glassed to the underside of the wing allowing it to be removed without showing a fixing through the top.

Charlie C

posted on 12/5/16 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

I've used these old stock NIMROD Aircraft Anchor Nut they work out at about 45p each

100 X NIMROD Aircraft Anchor Nut 5310-99-601-5946 6mm Thread BAE SYSTEMS

loggyboy

posted on 12/5/16 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smoking Frog
Here's a locost way of how I fitted my front wings. Maybe it will give you ideas. The nut is a "T" nut cheap as chips on ebay.
Frontwing fixingA
Frontwing fixingA

Frontwing fixingB
Frontwing fixingB

The aluminium plates were fibre glassed to the underside of the wing allowing it to be removed without showing a fixing through the top.

Looks like a locost solution, although you could use clinch studs rather than t-nuts, so you cant screw in to the FG accidently.

Mistral Motorsport

Smoking Frog

posted on 12/5/16 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Looks like a locost solution, although you could use clinch studs rather than t-nuts, so you cant screw in to the FG accidently.

Yes that would be better (didn't know they existed).

DJT

posted on 12/5/16 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ste
i used these from halfords

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycle-accessories/gtmoto-aluminium-screen-screws-black

I've used these to hold the aeorscreen on. Work well.

http://tigeravonbuilddiary.blogspot.com/

harmchar

posted on 12/5/16 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
If you have clearance behind the scuttle make a frame of 1/4" steel, drill and tap the same hole pattern as the dash, bead of Tiger seal between steel and dash, then when you fasten all together the steel plate is bonded to back of scuttle. Cheap n easy. Hope I explained it clear enough to understand.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.