Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Supercharging ST170 in a Zero
whiz

posted on 14/5/16 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Supercharging ST170 in a Zero

Hi guys I will be supercharging my ST over the next winter. I have sourced a MP62 from a SLK. So I'm looking for ideas for an intercooler that will fit either in the nose cone in front or on top of the radiator, also I'm going to be using my Jenveys hopefully or a plenum with multi point injection.

whats your thoughts.

Whiz

garyt

posted on 14/5/16 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
hi I used a vw Passat intercooler and fitted it sloping from radiator top to underside of nosecone on my s/c setup, pictures in my archive.
hth Gary

remember we are not mad just creatively insane !!!!!

bi22le

posted on 14/5/16 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Im sure garyt's positioning works fine for him but I would not advocate that orientation.

Generally you want the intercooler infront of the water rad perpendicular to the air flow. Add a cowling to crowd the air through the cooler and leave no gap between it and the water rad.

Have a search on here. There have been some good set ups demonstrates in the past.

The cheapo top feed ones from ebay got good feedback

Also I know an uprated MR2 mk1 worked well for 280bhp on my car.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

jambojeef

posted on 15/5/16 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi wiz,

Lining up your radiator with the air flow isn't really the most important factor in dissipating heat from your intercooler, espesh in a 7.

In fact turbulent, slow (to a point) flow through a radiator / intercooler core is more efficient at transferring heat to its surroundings.

As with many things in 7s, especially in the nose, packaging is going to heavily factor unless you don't mind the look of modern 7esque interpretations like Donkervoorts and Daxs in which case you can place radiators / intercoolers in pods and lumps and bumps and optimise airflow without worrying too much about the look.

After I turboed my 7 - my own personal take on it is: Pick a light, good sized intercooler in budget and do your homework as to fin, plate, bar construction and pressure drops and fit it best you can in the nose with some kind of seal to the inside of the nosecone - expanding foam / aluminium / composite / plastic. Then imagine air flow paths, not just exposure to frontal area. If you have no air exit path, pressure builds in the nose as road speed increases and once that pressure is higher than the air pressure either side of the nose, approaching air simply flows around the side of the nosecone and your intake / water temperatures may rise quite quickly.

Ranked in order of best cooling, I tried these:

1) Flared Side Panels
2) Traditional Bonnet Louvres
3) Side pods and ducting

There'll be other methods but you'll have to decide which is the acceptable compromise between all those 7esque car building factors!

Post up pics of what you go with

GEoff

jambojeef

posted on 15/5/16 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Forgot to add my solution - S3 / 225bhp TT / Cupra intercooler with custom carbon ends, flat floor and traditional louvres in the bonnet.

I did make an alloy scoop to direct flow over the engine to the underside of the louvres but i think i left it off in the end.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.