Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford Crossflow 1600GT inlet manifold for a Weber DGV 32/36?
David Jenkins

posted on 16/5/16 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Ford Crossflow 1600GT inlet manifold for a Weber DGV 32/36?

This is a bit of a long shot, but here goes...

Does anyone have a Ford Crossflow 1600GT inlet manifold that takes a Weber DGV 32/36 carb that they would like get rid of? Like this one: eBay Item.

If it has the throttle linkage as well, so much the better... if it has a good DGV 32/36 on top - perfect.

Cheers,
David

steve m

posted on 16/5/16 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
I may have, will have a look later

But why ? as I thought you had bike carbs ?

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Brian R

posted on 16/5/16 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Recently converted a 1600 xflow for a mate to bike carbs from a weber 32/36. Have the whole kit. manifold, carb, linkage K&N etc. The breather/servo and water connections are blanked off on the manifold as these weren't needed but they could easily be refitted.

There are also no choke flaps or choke linkage on the carb as this was binned. I may have some if it's needed. The car ran fine with this carb fitted but would probably benefit from a proper rolling road set up. We used it to run the engine in and make sure the rest of the car was ok. The bike carb route was always the plan for the car.

I'll see if he wants to keep hold of it as a fallback spare or sell it.

David Jenkins

posted on 16/5/16 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
But why ? as I thought you had bike carbs ?

Steve,

This is a long-term experiment, probably to be implemented over the winter... as long as I can get the bits at a reasonable price.

My original setup was with a Weber DGV 32/36, and I liked the way it operated - good kick in the back when you floored it, etc. (I could squeal the tyres in the first 3 gears, if I was in the mood!). Basically, this carb worked well with the engine's state of tuning (fast-ish road). The problem was that the carb was old and worn-out, so mpg was rubbish and it wouldn't pull from low revs. Way back then I decided to try bike carbs instead of buying a new Weber.

The bike carbs are good, pulling well from low revs, but getting them tuned is very expensive - most places I've asked want over £200 to sort them out. I can understand why as they are expensive to tune; every time the tuner wants to change something he has to strip 4 carbs and rebuild them. Do this 2 or 3 times and the job ends up taking 2 hours or more. I've got them pretty close, but I don't get the 'acceleration kick' - although I do get strong acceleration - and the mpg is still poor.

I might end up staying with the bike carbs - and pay to get them tuned properly - but I'd like to try both options before I make my mind up. As I said, it's all down to the money!

steve m

posted on 16/5/16 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hi David

I am very glad I did not go over to the bike carb brigade then

I run the manifold you are after, with a modified 28/36 dcd carb (modified to get the carb under the bonnet bulge)

I had tried twin 40's, in fact still got them, but hated the fact that pretty EVERY time I used the car, they needed balancing
they were set up on a local rolling road, and rejetted to suit the 1700 xflow, but were very thirsty, and the car smelt of fuel all the time, this was with a 285 cam, and to drive the car was a pita, as everything had to be done over 4k

so much so, I took them off and put the dcd back on, and now, its pretty well a normal driving car, power is marginly down, and fuel economy has rocketed up, but tractability is from tickover upwards

My desire to have the engine on the max I could get out of it, has waned, now that "I" (WE ) have got older and wiser to have an easier car to drive

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

David Jenkins

posted on 16/5/16 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
The other factor is that the bike carbs are NOISY when I floor it - they are louder than the exhaust! (from where I'm sitting, anyway). I could fix that by ducting the air round the engine bay to a remote filter, but there's not much room left.

The reason why I was looking for that exact inlet manifold is that I have a hole in my bonnet that matches it exactly, with a scoop over it. I don't want to cut another hole.

steve m

posted on 17/5/16 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
I did look last night, and do not have a spare manifold, sorry

steve

David Jenkins

posted on 17/5/16 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
No worries Steve.

AndyGT

posted on 29/9/16 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
did you get an inlet manifold in the end???

nothing is impossible
everything is possible

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 1/10/16 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Yep - from good old eBay!

[Edited on 1/10/16 by David Jenkins]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.