Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rivet Gun.
cfc999

posted on 16/5/16 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Rivet Gun.

I'm trying to rivet my alloy panels to my chassis using a hand rivet gun. The rivets are alloy 4.8mm. Not sure if it's my lack of strength or the gun I'm using but I'm finding it extremely difficult to pull the lever.It's taking about 4 attempts and a massive amounts of effort per rivet. Is there a limit size wise or do I need a heavy duty rivet gun.
loggyboy

posted on 16/5/16 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hand rivet guns are ok for the odd job but wouldnt want to do more than a handful in a row!
I bought cheapo air rivet gun and apart from the odd jam it made very easy work for doing my panels.
If not then one of the concertina types are supposed to make work easier.

Mistral Motorsport

nero1701

posted on 16/5/16 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
have a concertina type one that you can borrow if your local to bromley?
ReMan

posted on 16/5/16 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Yes you definitely need a concertina, or long handled gun, else an Air driven one, for any number bigger than 2!

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ō≈ōﺣ

coozer

posted on 16/5/16 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Couple of bits of foot long pipes over the handles???

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Benzine

posted on 16/5/16 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Is this thread any use?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 17/5/16 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote

Mistral Motorsport

Bluemoon

posted on 17/5/16 at 06:26 AM Reply With Quote
I have a half decent hand rivet gun: POP® Powerlink 30

It has a compound lever in the handle to increase the mechanical advantage.

Still difficult after the first 50 rivets, but o.k. if you go bit by bit.. You do need sufficient leverage in the gun the cheaper ones don't seem to have sufficient mechanical advantage. Still never used bigger than 4.2mm rivets as these are big enough 4.8mm might be to big to pull in the tool..

Dan

cfc999

posted on 17/5/16 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the tips guys.
Going to borrow a air powered rivet gun hopefully. I've only got a small compressor so I'm not sure if it's going to be powerfully enough to fire the gun. Anyone used one with a small compressor.

40inches

posted on 17/5/16 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cfc999
Going to borrow a air powered rivet gun hopefully. I've only got a small compressor so I'm not sure if it's going to be powerfully enough to fire the gun. Anyone used one with a small compressor.

Depends what you class as small, my 2HP Lidl special works ok, if you let it catch up after about 10/15 rivets

loggyboy

posted on 17/5/16 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:

Depends what you class as small, my 2HP Lidl special works ok, if you let it catch up after about 10/15 rivets

^^This - power isn't an issue for even the most basic compressor, its capacity. As you can hear in my videos after 3 or 4 rivets the compressor kicks back in. Fortunately the jams every 20 rivets or so gives it a chance to catch up!

Mistral Motorsport

40inches

posted on 17/5/16 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:

^^This - power isn't an issue for even the most basic compressor, its capacity. As you can hear in my videos after 3 or 4 rivets the compressor kicks back in. Fortunately the jams every 20 rivets or so gives it a chance to catch up!

Have a 25litre tank on the unit, plus another 25litre tank in tandem. It simply takes longer for the compressor to catch up. Lol!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.