Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tow vehicle choice.......
wombat

posted on 17/5/16 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Tow vehicle choice.......

Hi all,
I'm planning on racing next year and can't decide what to do for a tow vehicle.
Currently we have a Freelander2 which would do the job but it's an HST so has the full body kit = no tow bar option.
Also have a Corsa 1.4SXI which I manage a whopping 5k per year in. Owned it from 6mths old and it's an 04 plate with just 70k on the clock.
So neither anygood for towing a Brian James....

Obvious solution seems a van thus giving me somewhere to kip at the track and carry spares etc, however with a budget of £5k I'm worried that I'll end up with a very high mileage , high maintenance van.

Don't want an estate car and pondering just hiring a van for race weekends but that feels like dead money........

Any thoughts ???

Wom

zetec

posted on 17/5/16 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Toyota Landcruiser, we had a Colorado. 8 seats, loads of room and nice and comfy, managed 30MPG towing a car/trailer. Really effortless towing. Reliable with 150K on the clock, they feel like they will do 500K! Get the latter D4D VX for your money and we only lost £500 in 3 years as very popular...

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

ReMan

posted on 17/5/16 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Or a bit smaller smaller, Toyota RAV4. 40MPG, 6spd 2.2 diesel, easy towing a light car

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

daniel mason

posted on 17/5/16 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
I tow with a LWB VW caddy maxi van.nit a big van but keeps me under the 3.5t limit.plenty of room for spares. And it's going up for sale next month
loggyboy

posted on 17/5/16 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Or a bit smaller smaller, Toyota RAV4. 40MPG, 6spd 2.2 diesel, easy towing a light car

Most of range have rubbish tow weights, most large cars can beat their tow capacity.

[Edited on 17-5-16 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 17/5/16 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
In my impoverished world, £5K would be quite a lot to spend on a van. I tend to run 10-15 year old Transhits (current one is 16), which certainly aren't £5K, aren't high maintenance and are actually extremely reliable UK/Eu-Rope tow barges. With a 2T tow limit and a useful 5.5T GTW, they're hard to beat. It's certainly the oldest and roughest vehicle in most paddocks, though.

Sounds like the Corsa needs to go though.

wombat

posted on 17/5/16 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thx for the replies so far.
Certainly not precious about state of the van, we used to have a mustard yellow Sherpa that everyone took the p out of in the paddock !
Wasn't dissing the van scenario, just know all my budget will be going on racing and Ive lost touch on what is a reliable van these days.
Corsa will go to fund some of the van which I will still be using for work etc.
What's a decent van then?
The Vauxhall vivaro seems to lose loads of money so suspect issues with these.
Is a 90k transit still the best option?

JoelP

posted on 17/5/16 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Vivaros are nice and cheap, just don't change gear too fast! I paid 800 quid for my latest 04 plate vivaro. Needed a few parts swapping off my old van, but you can't go wrong for the money.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

tweek

posted on 17/5/16 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Currently towing a Formula Vee with a VW Touareg, but only because I also have to tow a horse box. It is nice to have the extra towing capacity and it pulls like a dream, bit pricey to run though and it's not as spacious as you would imagine

But our other car (Peugeot 306) just failed its MOT so we're probably going for a Focus diesel estate, which should be able to sub as a tow car for the vee.

A van is definitely a good option, you see a lot of them in the paddocks. It gives a lot of scope to custom fit stuff like a fold out bench, vices, electric, good lighting, awning, genny, compressor etc. Don't know what the quality of 5k vans is like though.

John

"oh dear..." said god,
"I hadn't thought of that"
and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic

daniel mason

posted on 17/5/16 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
My VW caddy maxi has been faultless. Other than a new tyre and service items. Cracking van. But it's only done 63k
steve m

posted on 18/5/16 at 03:29 AM Reply With Quote
I know you said, you did not want an estate car, but my 58 Mondeo tdci estate, tows the 4 berth caravan easily
its also very good on fuel, at 45mpg average and that includes towing, although it has been chipped for economy

obviously we do not know your home circumstances, and wether another vehicle to tax mot, insure and and maintain, also keep somewhere would not be a problem,

An estate car, is also a family, normal vehicle, to run around in work etc, but a van will always be a van

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

LBMEFM

posted on 18/5/16 at 04:14 AM Reply With Quote
The Renault Master, Vauxhall Movano and Nissan Interstar are all the same. I am in the building trade, I have had several vans, over the years had a "smiley" face Transit, perfect no problems, replaced with an 05 plate, then 5 years old nothing but trouble. Head gasket went, turbo blew up, wiring caught fire, cost me a fortune. Then I bought a ten year old Renault Master 2.5 MWB, love it. It's fast, comfortable and a pleasure to drive. It carries huge loads effortlessly. Some weekends it doubles up as somewhere to sleep at race weekends and festivals. Track days it tows my 7, loaded with a gazebo, wheels and tools etc. I am about to retire from the building trade but I will be keeping my van. The only thing to watch out for on them is a " crunchy" 2nd gear when cold.

posted on 18/5/16 at 06:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I know you said, you did not want an estate car, but my 58 Mondeo tdci estate, tows the 4 berth caravan easily
its also very good on fuel, at 45mpg average and that includes towing, although it has been chipped for economy

obviously we do not know your home circumstances, and wether another vehicle to tax mot, insure and and maintain, also keep somewhere would not be a problem,

An estate car, is also a family, normal vehicle, to run around in work etc, but a van will always be a van

steve

Couldn't have put it better myself.

It doesn't have to be a Mondeo though.

My son is buying a C5. An "05, 60k miler for under a grand. 1100mm wide inside.
I did have a Passat for 6 years, now have an old Merc. 2000 x 1100 load area and will tow 2.1t.

Paul G

dinosaurjuice

posted on 18/5/16 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
The freelander 2 is a brilliant tow car, why not partexchange it + £5k for one that can take a tow bar?
nick205

posted on 18/5/16 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
I'm sure you have your reasons, but personally I wouldn't rule out a half decent diesel estate car. Many of them take tow bars and have a half decent towing capacity too. Ones where the back seats fold flat give you space for parts and sleeping as well. As a bonus you've then got a decent spacious vehicle to move people and things when not towing. I can't drive for the time being, but miss my Passat estate enormously as a spacious car more than capable of lugging me/family/lots of stuff. Took it camping a few times and never failed to get in it what I wanted.

[Edited on 18/5/16 by nick205]

MattD

posted on 18/5/16 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Audi A4 Quattro Estate is doing me just fine at the moment, its a V6 Diesel so good on the fuel but torquey too, with a 2000kg tow limit. Effortless towing of either Stylus or Pug205 rally car on a BJT Clubman.

Only real downside when its full of wheels & spares is not being able to kipp or brew-up inside it, so a cheap midi-van split into bunk room & tool room is prob next on the list.

And I guess that gets us back where the OP started

jeffw

posted on 18/5/16 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Range Rover 4.4 TDI Vogue SE....not very locost but tows well

wombat

posted on 18/5/16 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys, all good stuff thx.
No way missus trading Freelander in as its too good and we are often away at differewant circuits anyway.
Totally get the estate thing but don't see it working with spares and sleeping.

So Van seems to be the way I'm going, but should I worry about a 100k mileage van ?

CNHSS1

posted on 18/5/16 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
100k van thats been an ex Parcelforce/builders van (no offence to a prev poster) or ex hire fleet and itll be shagged and repaired on a shoestring. Buy one from a small business user where its been cherished and serviced properly and youll be fine. Generally if whomever drives it, has owned it, itll be ok. If the driver doesnt own it, itll have been abused.
Perfect scenario is an ex little old lady florist van lol

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

PorkChop

posted on 18/5/16 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Buy an MPV with removable seats.

It's a van that you can take loads to the tip (or sleeping amongst spare parts ) or put the family in should the need arise. Should also have sufficient towing capacity.

Job done.

[Edited on 18/5/16 by PorkChop]

CNHSS1

posted on 18/5/16 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Ive towed race cars behind 4x4s--pickups and range rovers, vans and estate cars, all very capable. Range rover didnt even know the car and trailer were there, tow at 100mph with ease (on continent of course) except it wouldnt pass a petrol station without a drink. Pickup was great, 4 seats and car like interior with a hatchback area for tools tyres and gear. Vans are brill as you can chuck the crap in the back along with a mattress and its a hotel too! Pick a medium or long wheelbase though as rides better, swb can be choppy. Currnetly using new 5 series estate, big boot tows lovely and nice and relaxing to drive and good economy, but cant sleep 2 and tools like a van so its hotels instead (tried camping at circuits, its 'orrible!)

An estate is a no brainer for most but if you want to keep the freelander than a van sounds best bet

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

gremlin1234

posted on 18/5/16 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
as a real wildcard, how about a mazda bongo / ford friendee
usually classed as a day van, but can easily sleep ;-)

Neville Jones

posted on 19/5/16 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PorkChop
Buy an MPV with removable seats.

It's a van that you can take loads to the tip (or sleeping amongst spare parts ) or put the family in should the need arise. Should also have sufficient towing capacity.

Job done.

[Edited on 18/5/16 by PorkChop]

The MPV is a very good dual purpose compromise. I towed with a Ford Tourneo for a few years, and other times it doubled up as a roomy 'estate' for the whole family. Every day it was my work van. True multi purpose. Worth a thought. The Discovery I now have is not quite so utilitarian, and only slightly better on fuel. Oddly enough, I'd say the Tourneo was a lot more comfortable ride.

Cheers,
Nev.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.