Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: V8 exhaust is just not loud enough
Irony

posted on 19/5/16 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
V8 exhaust is just not loud enough

I have a 3.9l RV8 and it has twin 4-1 stainless manifold running into 5 inch silencers on each side. When I specced the exhaust I just said make me something that will sound cool, look cool and pass the IVA. It did everything I wanted including whispering it's way through the iva at 91db. Now it's just to quiet. I have been reading online about cherry bombs and glasspack exhausts but I am unsure how these are constructed and if they differ from what I have. I am loathed to drill out the rivets on my exhausts and see if it's got some sort of packing. I look down the exhaust and I can only see a perforated tube.

I just want a slightly louder, more angry ripsnorty exhaust note but I am unsure what to do. I don't have room for any H or cross over pipes so I am limited to mufflers. Any thoughts?

Toprivetguns

posted on 19/5/16 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
I miss my Monaro, it's all about the V8 burble.

I would check the exhaust packing, I'm sure you can find a better replacement.

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

v8kid

posted on 19/5/16 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
I have exactly the the opposite problem! 4:1 exhausts 5" straight through with expansion chambrs and had to fit additional tailpipe restrictor to get through iva. Same engine bored and stroked to 5l with different heads.
Count your blessings!
When driving it does not sound loud but the meter tells a different story.

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 19/5/16 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
So if tailpipe restrictors tend to quieten.........

Would a mega tailpipe increase volume....... possibly.

paulc

posted on 19/5/16 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm, I've been trying to decide on what silencers to use for my build (4.0 Rover V8) for a while.

What length silencers are you guys using?

I want something that'll pass IVA, and not get me black flagged at track days.

kenton

posted on 19/5/16 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Just drive it hard! The packing will over time wear out. Simples.
threadbare wallet

posted on 20/5/16 at 05:21 AM Reply With Quote
In my younger days we use to always stick a bit of petrol down new back box and light it to burn the wadding out! On and after market exhaust to get the noise level up! Worked a treat.they always get louder over time.i can nkt reccomed this method though as its silly and not safe

Very few things are "really" needed.

scudderfish

posted on 20/5/16 at 05:29 AM Reply With Quote
This is what my car uses; it has to be small as it is underslung. It does get a bit tiresome after a while.

Description
Description

Irony

posted on 20/5/16 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
This is what my car uses; it has to be small as it is underslung. It does get a bit tiresome after a while.

Description
Description

I think what I have is the same construction as a cherry bomb (i.e a perforated tube with packing around the outside) Maybe if I just unpacked it a bit I could get more of a growl.

It seems to me that fitting an exhaust is a bit like witchcraft, everyone seems to have a opinion but little actual fact.

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 20/5/16 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'd agree with the witchcraft business!

On our type of cans, you just don't get the burble and it is actually quite quiet when poottling around.

when going for it, mine has been described like two Harley's blatting down the road.. and it is pretty damn loud.

mine might be 4" not sure, and a bit longer.

https://goo.gl/photos/MQ7RgWq8KXwifLhN6

[Edited on 20/5/16 by Chris_Xtreme]

Irony

posted on 20/5/16 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris_Xtreme
I'd agree with the witchcraft business!

On our type of cans, you just don't get the burble and it is actually quite quiet when poottling around.

when going for it, mine has been described like two Harley's blatting down the road.. and it is pretty damn loud.

mine might be 4" not sure, and a bit longer.

https://goo.gl/photos/MQ7RgWq8KXwifLhN6

Yours sounds awesome on the rolling road videos. Whats in the exhaust cans, wadding? Tightly packed? Nothing!?!?!

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 20/5/16 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
ah, a lot of the noise in the vids was the intake, unfortunately once my air filter and the bonnet is on, a lot of that is lost.

you have a soundtrack of how yours sounds now?

oh and I have never taken them off, so don't know how full or empty they are of wadding. from how it popped and banged when on the carbs, I would images some of the wadding has been lost, but probably not that much. on my previous xtreme where I thought there would be none left, it was still completely packed, after flames coming out of the exhaust loads - not just overrun when when going down the A roads! - before I got it fixed, but it was like that for a good few thousand miles.

[Edited on 20/5/16 by Chris_Xtreme]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.