Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: L Plates on towing eye?
JC

posted on 21/5/16 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
L Plates on towing eye?

Hi all,

Just bought a nice Toyota Aygo which will be used by my son to learn to drive. As the car has so much plastic, attaching the L plates without damaging paint will be a trick. At the back, suction cups on the glass screen should do, but at the front it it a bit more tricky....

I've seen some modified cars where the number plate is attached to the towing eye - has anyone seen anything similar for L plates?

The main disadvantage I can see is that in the event of a minor bump, the shock wouldn't be absorbed by the bumper. Any thoughts folks?

Thanks again!

JC

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
macc man

posted on 21/5/16 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
Could you not attach it using a tie strap through the grill without removing the backing paper.
MsD

posted on 21/5/16 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Could you not use a magnetic one on the bonnet? And suction cups etc on the rear glass.
Mark.

[Edited on 21/5/16 by MsD]

JC

posted on 21/5/16 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Suction cups are what I plan for the rear glass.

On the bonnet, the plates would be near horizontal - I hear tales of the magnetic ones blowing off, scraping and damaging paint on their way!

Maybe cable ties through the grill, but wanting something removable as we will be driving the car too!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bluemoon

posted on 21/5/16 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JC
Suction cups are what I plan for the rear glass.

On the bonnet, the plates would be near horizontal - I hear tales of the magnetic ones blowing off, scraping and damaging paint on their way!

Maybe cable ties through the grill, but wanting something removable as we will be driving the car too!

Used sticky velco... BUT it may leave residual adhesive....

morcus

posted on 21/5/16 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
I used magnetic ones for a day but the front one came off as soon as I hit 35mph, after that I taped them on, but that was on a 20 year old 205.

I'd second cable ties, just get loads of them and cut them off when you are driving (Or do what every one else does and drive with them on even though its not actually allowed).

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.