Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Driving without power steering fluid?
tegwin

posted on 5/6/16 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Driving without power steering fluid?

I had the rack in my T5 van changed because it had lots of play in it.... Since then it has gone back to the garage twice due to dripping oil and sucking in air.

Just got back from a loveley afternoon on the beach, went to reverse onto the drive, turned full lock and the entire contents of the power steering system instantaneously spaffed all over road...Thats 40 quid literally down the drain...

I wish I didnt have to have further dealings with this garage but I think it needs to go back..... Question is, can I drive it to the garage (4 miles) without totally destroying the pas pump which will be running without oil?!

Its going to be a nightmare to drive without PAS to start with.... its a damn heavy truck!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Dick

posted on 5/6/16 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Dont drive it with no fluid in it it will knacker the pump, phone the garage up and get them to recover it
chris

posted on 5/6/16 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
drove my long wheelbase high roof vivaro for a week with no hydraulic fluid in it then I had time to fix it still running same pump now
Kdempsie

posted on 5/6/16 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
I would expect that to risk damage to the pump and probably give you more hassle with the garage. Depends if it really is completely empty with no fluid to lubricate the running pump.

Can you take the pump belt off without stopping anything else?

Keith.

tegwin

posted on 5/6/16 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm... Up give them a call in the morning. They aren't the most helpful of people

The t5 pumps are driven through shafts from the engine and are a royal nightmare to remove

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

nick205

posted on 6/6/16 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Experience with a colleagues Picaso was a knackered pump from driving without PAS fluid. Car was next to worthless in any case and went to the dump. In your case I'd say don't drive without and get it looked at by the garage who did the work in the first place - sounds like a doge job to me.

tegwin

posted on 6/6/16 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Ive had another look this morning and the metal pipe where it is screwed into the rack has split and is pissing oil out at a rate of speed!

Its annoying because it went back in because that same union was leaking. Looks like its now been over tightened and crushed the pipe... Bloody monkeys... I really dont want it to go back to that garage but I guess I have no choice.

Ive phone the RAC to come and hopefully give me a tow....

This is my work van and if I don't have it I can't earn any money

nick205

posted on 6/6/16 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
This is my work van and if I don't have it I can't earn any money

Not good, but bigger repair bills and timescales are bound to hurt more!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.