Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: strange front tyre tread wear
Slater

posted on 6/6/16 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
strange front tyre tread wear

Hi
I've noticed my front tyres have worn strangely over the last 1000 miles. See the pics below.
The near side front is the worst, the tread blocks on the outer half of the tyre have worn unevenly and "feathered" on the inside edge. The offside is similar but not as pronounced. Tyre pressure is 18 psi. Tyres are Toyo Proxes T1S.

Is this a result of wrong toe set up or wrong camber setting?

I did set it up myself in the past to 1 deg toe in and 1 deg negative camber (leaning in at the top), but have since raised the front and rear ride height slightly.

What are the recommended toe/camber setting for the MAC#1 for road use?

Photos of near side front tyre taken from front.

[img] front ns tyre 1x
front ns tyre 1x
[/img]

[img] front ns tyre 3x
front ns tyre 3x
[/img]

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

nick205

posted on 6/6/16 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Looking at your photos it strikes of incorrect toe or camber settings being front tyres. I had simialr wear issues with the rear tyres on my Passat B6 estate and was told it was a common issue (not only on VWs) by the tyre fitters. To my mind there must be an issue with the rear suspension causing the wear, but what and how would you change it. With front suspension it's usually more adjustable though.

loggyboy

posted on 6/6/16 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Looks to me as if you have about 2.5 mm on inner, 3mm centre and 1mm feathering to nothing on outer?
You need slightly more camber and slightly more pressure.
Camber will even the inner/outer imbalance, and more pressure will push centre of tyre out.
Feathering on edge is normal. Unless theres signs of feathering on whole width its usually unrelated to uneven wear, and more of enthusiastic driving. The outer edge is receiving most punishment.

[Edited on 6-6-16 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

owelly

posted on 6/6/16 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
My Transit tyres did that when I fitted my home-grown front hubs because I had my Ackerman numbers wrong! It tracked-up fine but once the steering was turned, the wheels were having a fight.... I got out my Poundland lazer pointers and tape measure and found my steering arms and TREs needed to be 30mm further out!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 6/6/16 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
1 degree is far too much toe-in aim for 0.05 to 0.25 degrees across the axle, but on no account any tie-out.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

benchmark51

posted on 6/6/16 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
I had some uneven wear on my fronts and found the cause was the front coilovers were way too soft. If I stood on the chassis rail, one foot either side of the car and bounced it I could see the front wheels 'bounce steering'. I checked the coilover settings and found them wound fully soft. I reset them to mid position and the problem was gone. However I then took it to Track Developments and had the full geometry re-set.
Slater

posted on 6/6/16 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
OK thanks guys, i am now going to swap the tyres front to back as the rears have loads of even tread, then re-set the toe in to 0.25 degs and 1.0 deg negative camber. Then will review the wear pattern on the "new" front tyres.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.