Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Leaving a house door ajar at night, any suggestions?
John P

posted on 8/6/16 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Leaving a house door ajar at night, any suggestions?

We recently replaced a bedroom window in our bungalow with a upvc door with a glazed panel at the side but I completely forgot about ventilation.

When my daughter stays she likes to leave a window open at night but obviously this isn't now possible.

Is there any latch which would secure the door slightly ajar to provide this ventilation whilst still being reasonably secure. It would only be used when the room was occupied so doesn't really need to be burglar proof, just not easily opened from outside.

Any ideas?

John.

joneh

posted on 8/6/16 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
How about fitting a vent?

You can get retrofit vents that screw on, you just drill holes through the frame.

Option b would be a window child restrictor.

owelly

posted on 8/6/16 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.homesecureshop.co.uk/security/window-door-security/restrictors

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chillis

posted on 8/6/16 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Check what is acceptable with your insurance company, mine insists all doors, plus any windows of unoccupied rooms, must be securely fastened (read closed) or the insurance is considered to be invalid - something many people don't consider during these warm and muggy summer months

[Edited on 8/6/16 by chillis]

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

posted on 9/6/16 at 05:45 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't want a door on the jar purely due to mice/rats getting in.

Don't they say that your never more than 10m away from a rat, or something like that.

Paul G

coyoteboy

posted on 9/6/16 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
Don't worry, rats anger mice climb really well, even right up brickwork. They won't care if it's a window or door!

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 9/6/16 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chillis
Check what is acceptable with your insurance company, mine insists all doors, plus any windows of unoccupied rooms, must be securely fastened (read closed) or the insurance is considered to be invalid - something many people don't consider during these warm and muggy summer months

[Edited on 8/6/16 by chillis]

I checked with mine on this point and they checked with the underwriter for me and stated that the door had to be locked with the key as well.. our front door closes and it is as such locked from the outside, from the inside you can just use the handle and open. to lock it properly you lift the handle and then lock with a key. they insisted on this for the night time rule. however, not sure how that would work if you were in the room.. you could be awake reading a book.... then no problem.

sorry this is stepping away from your question!

Mash

posted on 9/6/16 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Wow

Here in Deepest Dorset, I rarely even lock the back door, and the Land rover is almost always unlocked when I'm around, even at night.

Guess we're spoiled out here

Don't want to rub it in, but it's beautiful here too

v8kid

posted on 9/6/16 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mash
Wow

Here in Deepest Dorset, I rarely even lock the back door, and the Land rover is almost always unlocked when I'm around, even at night.

That's nothing!!

Here in Scotland we leave the keys in the ignition but still no one steals the blessed thing! Top that

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 13/6/16 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Wow

Nahh, you're just a super-easy (uninsured!) target for wandering thieves living in the assumption that nearby folk are the only ones who might steal!

loggyboy

posted on 13/6/16 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Some windows/doors have a double catch, which allows them to be locked open by 10-15mm, maybe yours can be adapted to have this.

Mistral Motorsport

loggyboy

posted on 13/6/16 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:
Wow

Nahh, you're just a super-easy (uninsured!) target for wandering thieves living in the assumption that nearby folk are the only ones who might steal!

Yeah , whats the address?

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.