Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: C20XE engine start after 2 years
mcg

posted on 11/6/16 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
C20XE engine start after 2 years

Installed a red top 2 years ago into my f27 clubman. Got it running OK but not driven more than on and off the trailer to transport to my new house. Sat in my garage for 2 years gathering dust. Ready to start it up again and wanted to know if there are some basic things I should do to protect the engine?

For example I was told I should disconnect spark plugs and run starter for 30 seconds to circulate oil before properly starting.

Also should I change the engine oil? It can't have been run for more than 30 minutes since putting it in.

Same on the water.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

Adamirish

posted on 11/6/16 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
I would pull the spark plugs and put a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder. Turn engine over until the oil pressure light/gauge goes out/shows pressure to get everything lubed up(ooohhhh errrrr) plug everything back in and start it up.

I would also just make sure the cam belt isn't cracked too.

It will smoke a bit when it starts but that will soon clear. The water will be fine I'm sure. Keep an eye out for leaks as rubber seals etc shrivel up fairly quickly when they have dried up.

Good luck!

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

Bluemoon

posted on 12/6/16 at 06:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adamirish
I would pull the spark plugs and put a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder. Turn engine over until the oil pressure light/gauge goes out/shows pressure to get everything lubed up(ooohhhh errrrr) plug everything back in and start it up.

I would also just make sure the cam belt isn't cracked too.

It will smoke a bit when it starts but that will soon clear. The water will be fine I'm sure. Keep an eye out for leaks as rubber seals etc shrivel up fairly quickly when they have dried up.

Good luck!

Before turning on the starter I would manually turn over with a spanner one revolution to make sure it's not seized, less chance of damage is something is really not right...

Toprivetguns

posted on 12/6/16 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
I know the c20xe has hydraulic tappets, hence as mentioned a few soft cranks with a spanner then a dry crank on the starter.

They may be noise for a few seconds, but eventually oil should reach the head and lube the tappets.

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

cliftyhanger

posted on 12/6/16 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
As first reply, some oil in the bores and I would leave for an hour. As long as the engine is not seized turn over a fair bit on the starter with plugs our, it means there is no pressure (ok, a little but not much) on the crank bearings and gets the lifter pumped up. Plugs in and start.

worth an oil/filter change after a few miles, and do check all rubber parts.

More concerning is the rubber seals in the brakes, and the actual brake fluid WILL need changing.

CosKev3

posted on 12/6/16 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
As above regards first turning it over, aswell as checking cambelt have a look over all your fuel pipes.

Plenty of issues with fuel hoses cracking/perishing due to some additives in modern fuel.

perksy

posted on 12/6/16 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely turn it over by hand first before spinning it over on the starter minus the plugs
Perform all the checks already mentioned above

Don't be too surprised if the oil pressure relief valve has stuck as these can be a little tricky on the XE at the best of times

[Edited on 12/6/16 by perksy]

mcg

posted on 17/6/16 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone for the replies - did it just as you all suggested, and worked well. Oil pressure light goes off as expected. Not as smokey as i expected after putting the oil in the cylinders. Really appreciate your help!

Matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.