Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vibratory Tumbler
SmudgerEBT

posted on 13/6/16 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Vibratory Tumbler

So, looking at various ways of rust removal of bolts, nuts, bits and bobs of alloy parts (like carb inlet)

Have noticed this on ebay:

Invicta Superfinish Vibratory bowl deburring tumbler machine polishing finishing

So if Forge use it......................

Anyone else used one, know of a cheap place for them (if they worked for you). I know frost autorestoration used to do one but now no longer.

Yes it might be expensive in the short term, but having a few mates who will throw stuff in as well am hoping long term cheaper than buying new bolts all the time.

bi22le

posted on 13/6/16 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
We had one of these at my old work. We used to use it for deburring.

It worked well. It was noisey and you have to change the stones every now and then.

Ours was a tombola style roller. Not sure about these vertical ones as our one really threw bits around inside.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Rosco86

posted on 13/6/16 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
We have one of these at work, very noisy and messy as it runs wet, I don't think it would clean bolts very well, they can be quite harsh to, ie damage threads etc, also small parts would be hard to find amongst the stones, I think a wet bead blaster would be better

My Build Thread

SmudgerEBT

posted on 13/6/16 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjEhOHN7aXNAhXEJMAKHfD8CC4Q Fgg0MAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.frost.co.uk%2Fmotor-parts-vibratory-tumbler-rust-remover-polisher-polishing-8-kg-car-parts.html&usg=AFQjCNGa0nK8O NFkCG3dzs8VekK-GZnoFQ

This looks about right for doing carbs, engine steadies, brackets, bolts etc

Two stage, one for getting rid of the rust etc, next for final polish (for brackets)

Of course a massive one would be nice for doing bottom arms etc but impossible to justify the cost for a non-business

AdrianH

posted on 13/6/16 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Build one

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/another-finishing-tub-build.56301/

But I doubt it would be very good for nuts and bolts, buy new ones?

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

Wadders

posted on 13/6/16 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
I thinks some of them use walnut shells or similar as the abrasive medium, which would probably be a bit kinder to the bolts.
SmudgerEBT

posted on 13/6/16 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
With the car being such a bitza finding new bolts could take some time.

Idea is to have the larger parts powder coated and the smaller brackets, bolts, carb inlet cleaned and then rattle can clear coat.

Just looking around for ideas, reviews of kit etc

(Thinking that the 18lb on should be able to take things like oil filter housing, temp housing, carb inlet, which can go in, get cleaned then 2nd go with a polishing media (since they are alloy) which should produce a nice finish once got the right media and water ratio that is)

Mark100

posted on 13/6/16 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
used walnut shells and sharp dry sand as abrasives in a old electric cement mixer £50 ebay just ran it for a couple of hours with a plastic bag bungie corded to block the front off worked a treat
redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 14/6/16 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Some people that I know made one out of a large Calor cylinder. It was used every day in a commercial environment cleaning mill scale off loads of brackets. Worked a treat.....
nick205

posted on 14/6/16 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
We used to use a concrete mixer filled with grit at work. It worked well and gave us the option of mixing concrete as well.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.