Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Using bike parts apart from engine....keys/ECU etc
bennjamin

posted on 19/6/16 at 05:35 AM Reply With Quote
Using bike parts apart from engine....keys/ECU etc

hey everyone
Likely purchasing a wreck and using a bike engine for my build - which begs to ask is there a problem
using the bikes ignition barrel / keys in place of my standard cars ?
Using the standard bits might also give a handy security feature not found in 1965 (immobiliser !)
PS looking at '12 Honda cbr1000rr wreck.

Finally , if need be would the standard tune be sufficient for a road car <600kgs ?
If it's required would a tuneable ECU omit the standard immobiliser ?
Many thanks for thoughts Ben

StevieB

posted on 19/6/16 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Should actually make it easier if you use the full bike electrics. You will need the handlebar switches as well though, because the key switch on a bike is on/off only and isn't an ignition barrel as such, so you'll need the starter button and run/kill switch from the right side handlebar.

Only thing you won't have for a car application are reversing light (for obvious reasons) and a hazard warning circuit. You should be able to retro wire both into a standard loom in theory, but not sure if the later looms gave fans electrics that might make it more tricky.

twybrow

posted on 19/6/16 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
I uses the bike loom and cut out the circuits I did not want and added in others I did want. With regard to the tune, as soon as you change the exhaust or inlet, the original tune will be off and it would benefit from a remap. I found nearly 30bhp when mapped after installation.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.