Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Controversial topic.....(not Brexit)
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 27/6/16 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Controversial topic.....(not Brexit)

When you consider Topgear 3.0 + Topgear extra (or what ever its called), I think as a whole its much better than topgear 2.0

I admit its still a bit clunky but I prefer it.

Thoughts?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

coozer

posted on 27/6/16 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Watched the first one and can't be bothered with it...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

twybrow

posted on 27/6/16 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

Press on. Each one gets better. The first was pretty awful.

Texan

posted on 28/6/16 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
No it doesn't, or at least it hasn't so far.

The follow up show is better. I firmly believe they've set this up so that the 2nd show becomes the first after a lot of publicity that keeps drawing attention to it so people don't forget the show.

There's no way they could have made the 2nd show's hosts the main hosts and had people watch it so they've engineered a failure on the primary show to set up the 2nd show's amazing leap into the limelight.

I drive therefore I am.

Adamirish

posted on 28/6/16 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

Press on. Each one gets better. The first was pretty awful.

I agree with this.

Sunday's wasn't actually that bad. If they gave Chris Evans the boot it would be better still!

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 28/6/16 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
on Sunday I saw Chris Harris reviewing the BMW M2 on the latest episode.

It was like watching a tribute band, everything he said and the way he said it could have come out of Clarksons mouth, the pretend "funometer" on the corner was pure Clarkson, in fact I'm sure Clarkson did a pretty similar thing when reviewing the GT86 a couple of years ago.

It was watchable, but like a pub singer is watchable it was nothing on the real thing. The rest of it just made my mind drift off and I went and did some work.

Earlier in the day I had seen on of the last C/H/M episodes where Clarkson was reviewing the Lexus RCF and comparing it to the LFA, That review is Clarkson at his best, pulling no punches and savaging something that's rubbish and then managing to convey an almost unexplainable feeling of joy in a car that most of us will never drive so we can understand despite it massive flaws why its a great car. Then it was the Canadian Massive Pick-Up review, silly yes, perhaps overly silly but they still tested the cars and made me laugh out loud on multiple occasions, Clarkson and May asking for the desert menu after they decide Hammond is in a serious situation is still funny.

I bought a Chevy Silverado not long after that episode....

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
CNHSS1

posted on 28/6/16 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Agree re Chris Harris, hes better than that, leave the muppet stuff to Chris evans whos the entertainer, Harris is the cool car tester imho

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 28/6/16 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
I haven't seen last nights yet, but I would also say give it another go, it does seem to be getting better each week.. having said that, even with the Clarkson lot I would watch it on the computer whilst doing something else, it had become good background entertainment to me. I still don't get the guest format, and somehow the mini going round does not seem entertaining.
nick205

posted on 28/6/16 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
TBH I liked the old TG and didn't mind the presenters either. The new TG I find rather lacking and a little hard work to watch really. Some may not agree, but I do feel there's room for a decent motoring TV show where they use real world cars and review them properly - possibly the way TG started out.

Jeano

posted on 28/6/16 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Got bored of the old top gear and stopped watching as it was always the same. Got bored of the challenges, star in responsibly priced car and the relationship banter. To samey no change.

New one is better in alot of ways but there is no dynamic or relationship between presenters but that can take time to build i believe.

I enjoy it at the moment but wouldnt go out of my way to watch it. think it will improve with time and is a refreshing change

Drives: MK Indy F20c with hairdryer

Mash

posted on 28/6/16 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CNHSS1
Agree re Chris Harris, hes better than that, leave the muppet stuff to Chris evans whos the entertainer, Harris is the cool car tester imho

Agreed, gives Evans the boot, and it will be OK.

LeBlanc is even showing Evans up on the entertainment front

sdh2903

posted on 28/6/16 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
I completely slated episode 1. I've stuck with it and I'm starting to enjoy it again. It's good they've taken more of Harris and rory on board as they are the best presenters. Even le planc is growing on me.

However Evans is still an irritation. The thing is they don't need him and his shoutyness and no doubt his huge salary. Bin him off and shrink the excessive celebrity interviews and I think they will have nailed it.

scootz

posted on 28/6/16 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Much preferring the new TG!

It's Evolution Baby!

morcus

posted on 28/6/16 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
The first one was on another scale of terrible compared to the following episodes.

TG Extra has definitely been the standout element of the new format.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

AntonUK

posted on 28/6/16 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
The first one was on another scale of terrible compared to the following episodes.

TG Extra has definitely been the standout element of the new format.

This sum's up my opinion on it perfectly

Build Photos Here

craig1410

posted on 28/6/16 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
I thought the 1st episode was pants but since then it has improved a lot and the most recent episode was pretty good.

Matt Le Blanc is really good in my opinion and suited that Rolls perfectly! Rory and Chris are solid on the car review front and Sabine brings some entertaining energy. Chris Evans still needs to settle in a bit as he acts a bit like an excited puppy but I'm sure he'll calm down a bit and find his place. He definitely needs some clothing style tweaks.

The Clarkson years went through a few twists and turns as the recipe was refined and I'm sure the same will happen here too. In all honesty I was bored with the same old skits from JC/RH and JM so I'm ready for something different. What we have now is different enough to be different without being just a bad copy, if that makes sense.

One thing they could work on a bit is the studio audio quality which seemed very tinny and distant on Sunday. The rest of the audio was fine, just the studio stuff was bad.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.