Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto compression?
Barksavon

posted on 28/6/16 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto compression?

Can anyone tell me what the compression figures should be for a 2.0 litre Pinto, both the high comp and also the low comp engines.
I ask because a few years ago i bought a 2.0 engine out of a transit (didn't know at the time it was a low comp engine) I had it bored out to+0.5mm and fitted new pistons and rings. Now I know a little bit more about these engines I'm curious as to whether I've now got high compression or low
Thanks Ian

britishtrident

posted on 28/6/16 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
The LC version would have started out dished pistons.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

snapper

posted on 29/6/16 at 04:20 AM Reply With Quote
No all Pinto pistons are flat
Compression is decided by piston deck height
Standard high compression pistons are approximately 0.5mm below deck, lower compressions would be 1mm and 1.5mm below deck
On the last 2 Pinto's I built the piston deck height was stamped on the pistons, in 1 case it was 0.382mm
Standard compression ratio is 9.2 to 1
I believe LC engines came in 8,5 to 1 and 8.2 to 1
Whilst measured cranking pressure is not a good way to measure static compression ratio Haynes manual gives expected readings from a compression test

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Tazzzzman1

posted on 29/6/16 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
Ideally you should be looking at 150-170psi on each cylinder with throttle wide open. HTH
Nickp

posted on 29/6/16 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
No all Pinto pistons are flat
Compression is decided by piston deck height
Standard high compression pistons are approximately 0.5mm below deck, lower compressions would be 1mm and 1.5mm below deck
On the last 2 Pinto's I built the piston deck height was stamped on the pistons, in 1 case it was 0.382mm
Standard compression ratio is 9.2 to 1
I believe LC engines came in 8,5 to 1 and 8.2 to 1
Whilst measured cranking pressure is not a good way to measure static compression ratio Haynes manual gives expected readings from a compression test

So you can deck the block to increase CR then, presuming the deck has enough meat on it?

Barksavon

posted on 29/6/16 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tazzzzman1
Ideally you should be looking at 150-170psi on each cylinder with throttle wide open. HTH

Thanks for this info - is 150 - 170 for a high compression engine doing the test with the engine cold?
Ian

Tazzzzman1

posted on 29/6/16 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I would expect even a high compression Pinto to still be within this region. Anything less than 150 PSI is usually a sign of an engine issue (Pistons of Valves)

mcerd1

posted on 29/6/16 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
So you can deck the block to increase CR then, presuming the deck has enough meat on it?

you probably could, but its probably easier to just swap to the HC pistons

-

Nickp

posted on 29/6/16 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:

you probably could, but its probably easier to just swap to the HC pistons

Possibly, I was thinking more about running them flush or even protruding for an even higher CR. Not that I have a Pinto, or intend getting one

snapper

posted on 29/6/16 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Decking is preferred but only for high comp Pistons as head bolts will bottom out
Fitting ARP studs is better
Compression can be increased by skimming the head and using a thinner head gasket
Max compression for cast Pistons is about 10.5 to 1 although with carefull ignition timing 10.7 to 1 has been used

Here is the pinto conundrum

Pinto's like compression
Pistons don't
Cam shafts above FR33 needs compression and revs
The rods don't like revs
Cheaper options are Cosworth rods (bullet proof) but have floating gudgon pins
I fitted modified V6 Pistons to Cody rods but wished I had fitted forged

I eat to survive
I drink to forget

jollygreengiant

posted on 29/6/16 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Old Skool for upping the compression on a std 2.0 pinto was to fit a 1.6 GT (or Sport) head. You got the porting of a 2.0 GT head and the 2.0 Cam shaft, but it whacked the normal 9/9.2/9.5 Compression Ratio up to about 10.5 -11.0 to 1 region. All because of the smaller combustion chamber on the1.6 GT head. It does work, I did it myself. BUT, you do need to know that your bottom end will take it and your starter motor is up to the job, because it does tend to make it grunt.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Nickp

posted on 29/6/16 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Max compression for cast Pistons is about 10.5 to 1 although with carefull ignition timing 10.7 to 1 has been used

Just Pintos? I've built VW 8v GTi and Fiat / Lancia TC engines, both with over 11.5:1 CR on std cast pistons. Both peaked around 7krpm but I kept the rev limit below 7.5krpm. Both were fine and the VW did a full seasons racing no probs. Maybe I got lucky?

britishtrident

posted on 29/6/16 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
When comparing different engines keep in mind an aluminium alloy cylinder head will allow the use higher compression ratio than an iron head, usually around 1.2 higher without any other changes. Also modern engines have better swirl characteristics than older lumps.

[Edited on 29/6/16 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

mcerd1

posted on 29/6/16 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
Possibly, I was thinking more about running them flush or even protruding for an even higher CR. Not that I have a Pinto, or intend getting one

can't really let them go higher than the block, its not like the head has any space for them to go

as above you'd still really want HC pistons, and chances are you need new ones anyway so why get the wrong kind

I've made mine flush using effectively HC piston heights (actually my pistons are 0.060" shorter than stock but my rods are 0.060" longer than stock)
and that gives me the 1mm gasket thickness as my clearance to the head - 0.75mm is the minimum value I've seen quoted, so I'm not got much to play with at that....

one other thing that's not be mentioned in the above is how cam duration affects the static CR you want....

[Edited on 29/6/2016 by mcerd1]

-

Nickp

posted on 30/6/16 at 03:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:

can't really let them go higher than the block, its not like the head has any space for them to go

They can protrude into the gasket space which can actually help with squish, in theory. About 0.5-0.7mm into a 1.5mm gasket is usually safe enough and can help achieve your desired CR.

snapper

posted on 30/6/16 at 04:30 AM Reply With Quote
Fitting the 1.6 head was done in the past but using the older thicker head gaskets and doing some serious chamber work to in shroud the valves
2.0 L head had chamber volume of 48 to 50cc
1.6 head 38c
On a standard 2.0L engine with a 1.3mm gasket chamber volume needs to be about 43cc for 10.5 to 1
It's the ring lands on pinto Pistons that give out first, the rings are thick and heavy and the ring lands are thin

Running flush Pistons or even slightly out of the block needs a whole engine plan
Absolute minimum piston the head gap is 0.75mm or rod stretch will have piston touching the head at high revs
0.90mm is safe
The only thing separating the piston from the head at TDC will be the head gasket thickness
Cam type & timing, valve lift st TDC etc. Has to be considered
The last point to consider is the spark plug earth electrode, these can hang down below the head face on highly skimmed heads, I have 1 head with plug inserts to take 10mm plugs thus raising the electrode out of Harms way
And another head where I index the plugs to see where the electrode is positioned when tight
A blob of paint on the ceramic insulator where the shoulder of the earth electrode is so when fitted you can see where the electrode orientatsbfrom the outside
This meat God requires a collection of plugs to find four that will sit with electrode in an acceptable position

[Edited on 30/6/16 by snapper]

I eat to survive
I drink to forget

mcerd1

posted on 30/6/16 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
They can protrude into the gasket space which can actually help with squish, in theory. About 0.5-0.7mm into a 1.5mm gasket is usually safe enough and can help achieve your desired CR.

But most pinto gaskets are around 1mm thick when compressed

I'm in the middle of doing a dummy build to check valve to piston clearance as snapper says...

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.