Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exhaust routing question.
furryeggs

posted on 14/7/16 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust routing question.

I have an St170 manifold that I'm modifying to fit my Avon. There is very little room to route it as the chassis members are right were the ST manifold needs to exit. If I route it backwards it only just misses the starter, so can anyone see a problem with my routing. It goes forwards and wraps back around the chassis bar, as there is very little room I've worked out the angles and pie cut, then tig'd the exhaust to get a tight enough bend.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

I don't fancy spending a few hundred quid for just a manifold from tiger, if this works ok my entire exhaust would have cost me £120 ( £25 manifold, £30 R1 silencer, £60 CAT, £5 1m 2.5" pipe).

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 14/7/16 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by furryeggs
I have an St170 manifold that I'm modifying to fit my Avon. There is very little room to route it as the chassis members are right were the ST manifold needs to exit. If I route it backwards it only just misses the starter, so can anyone see a problem with my routing. It goes forwards and wraps back around the chassis bar, as there is very little room I've worked out the angles and pie cut, then tig'd the exhaust to get a tight enough bend.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

I don't fancy spending a few hundred quid for just a manifold from tiger, if this works ok my entire exhaust would have cost me £120 ( £25 manifold, £30 R1 silencer, £60 CAT, £5 1m 2.5" pipe).

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 14/7/16 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I think your pictures need reducing it looks like you have only got about 8-10mm clearance which is not enough as your be amazed how much your engine will move about your need a a min of 20mm I'm afraid or it will hit the chassis rails .
johnnybizzle1986

posted on 15/7/16 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Nice work on the lobster back exhaust!, but there isn't much wiggle room, and the exhaust gasses wont like hitting the 90 degree T on the at the end of the front 2 header pipes, could restrict flow??.

Could you cut off the ST manifold further up? and put a collector or 2into1 facing down and a single swept bend coming out and down the car?

regards Jon

furryeggs

posted on 15/7/16 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
I will be cutting the st manifold higher to give more clearance, i've looked at some 2-1 sections but i'm strugling to find one that has measurements that will work.
A couple of youtube clips and a few bits of paper helped getting the bend about right, my self taught weldings and maths isn't up to making a complete 2-1 collector so i'll have to modify one.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.