Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Radiator Flush on Red Top
mcg

posted on 26/7/16 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
Radiator Flush on Red Top

Hello again!

C20XE engine been standing for a couple of years. Successfully got it running quite nicely, but realized that the coolant water had a brown sludgy build up in the expansion tank.

I have drained it out, and run water through the system, and now the water runs clear.

I was wondering if i should use a chemical treatment to do a proper clean? If so what would you recommend?

Also for the coolant, i have brought a standard halfords silicate based one that i need to dilute with water. Is that OK, or should i go ready mixed?

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

cliftyhanger

posted on 26/7/16 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
I have always used holts speedflush or similar, it does get a load more crud out.

As to antifreeze, the OAT type ones should be fine, and I don't see the point of ready mixed, why pay for water? (although hard water areas may see some benefit . Maybe)

sprintB+

posted on 26/7/16 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
I have great success with central heating cleanser. X400 for general dirty systems. Safe on alloy, rubber etc. I put a litre in my Dolomite Sprint engine, drove it around for a week or so then flushed when hot. Then a plumber mate "power flushed another of my engines with his central heating flush pump, amazing what that shifted. So I can thoroughly recommend central heating cleanser.
britishtrident

posted on 26/7/16 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Citric acid is the usual flushing agent before filling with OAT coolant --- cheap as chips off ebay.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.