Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Latest Book
the_big_1

posted on 27/7/16 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Latest Book

Hi guys,

Thinking of buying the TMXR Chassis to build.
Whats the latest book I can get to do it too?

Cheers!

Slimy38

posted on 28/7/16 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
The 'build your own sportscar on a budget' will be the best match.
the_big_1

posted on 28/7/16 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Hi!!

Is that the Haynes one???

Slimy38

posted on 28/7/16 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the_big_1
Hi!!

Is that the Haynes one???

Yep. Go on the Haynes forum for the latest updates, and to pick up helpful tips on using an MX5 donor.

the_big_1

posted on 28/7/16 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I am using it as a ford build, Zetec engine, Sierra transmission and rear diff, Cortina front uprights etc.
I guess there is no way to join the Haynes forum any more?

Slimy38

posted on 28/7/16 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
There is a register button on the front page which should work? But I found even as a guest I could get to all the important stuff.
the_big_1

posted on 28/7/16 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Every time I tried, it says registration is disabled.

I first want to make sure that the TMXR has the same dimensions as the book so I have good plans to build too

loggyboy

posted on 28/7/16 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hi,

I am using it as a ford build, Zetec engine, Sierra transmission and rear diff, Cortina front uprights etc.
I guess there is no way to join the Haynes forum any more?

Haynes is fully sierra based, so using cortina uprights you will be diverging from standard route.
IIRC the TMXR is designed to use MX5 parts.

[Edited on 28-7-16 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

the_big_1

posted on 28/7/16 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Talon emailed me saying it's the Sierra frame with additional parts to fit Mazda so should be OK to go down the Ford route.
I will be making my own front wishbones so the Cortina uprights should be fine.
CADing the car before build so hence questioning if it's to the Book measurements

Slimy38

posted on 28/7/16 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hi,

Talon emailed me saying it's the Sierra frame with additional parts to fit Mazda so should be OK to go down the Ford route.
CADing the car before build so hence questioning if it's to the Book measurements

Yes it will be to the book measurements. The changes for MX5 gear are on the diff mounting and the wishbone design (and the steering wheel mount). The rest of it will be as per book.

The book updates can be obtained directly here;

https://haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2430

Charlie C

posted on 28/7/16 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

The standard book spec haynes roadster is based on sierra running gear the cortina front hub geometry are totally different from the sierra so at least new front wish bones would be required, I don't think the is a design out there for them so you will need to design them.

if your going for the TMRX chassis you should stick with the MX5 running gear and if you want to use sierra running gear use the basic book chassis mix the two will make unnecessary complicated.

I have a talon book (sierra chassis) with Sierra rear axle and front hubs and a MX5 engine and gear box, the MX5 compatible chassis wasn't an option when i started my build.

Personally using the MX5 running gear would be a lot simpler also parts are very easy to come by and brake upgrades are cheaper than ford and have you seen the cost of sierra rear calipers?

The MX5 running gear (diff hubs drive shafts brakes etc) are lighter than the sierra, so a good option could be a Zetec engine with MX5 running gear or even simpler and 1.6 or 1.8 mx5 with a super charger (have a look and TR Lane super charger kit) I have GSXR ITB's on my mx5 engine sound great but not as good as a super charger!

Charlie C

posted on 28/7/16 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Hi,

Yes it will be to the book measurements. The changes for MX5 gear are on the diff mounting and the wishbone design (and the steering wheel mount). The rest of it will be as per book.

The book updates can be obtained directly here;

https://haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2430

And the transmission tunnel due to the offset MX5 diff nose and reinforced diff mount, also the gear box section of the transmission tunnel can be differant from the book spec chassis on the mx5

the_big_1

posted on 28/7/16 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hi ya,

I already have all the engine, diff, transmission etc so didn't want to bin it all and start again.

All the designs I have seen online are either Sierra front hubs or Cortina?

Talon said the Cortina uprights are fine?

the_big_1

posted on 28/7/16 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
If it makes life a lot easier, I would go to Sierre Front uprights. Would that make it easier?
Slimy38

posted on 28/7/16 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
If it makes life a lot easier, I would go to Sierre Front uprights. Would that make it easier?

Just for my own interest, I did a quick search on Sierra vs Cortina uprights. Even on here there are lots of very confusing posts about the subject!!

My own (very humble) opinion is that you would be better off on a road well travelled. So that means Sierra. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Cortina, but it's not the sort of complexity you want to add in if there is no significant reason.

I've just had a look at Talon's website, looks like his flat pack chassis is sufficient to build either a Sierra or MX5 version. So I would go with that, build it according to the Haynes book, and stick with Sierra parts.

Compare that to the TMXR ready built chassis which includes all the MX5 changes that will just cause you headaches. And I can't see a ready built Sierra chassis on his page.

the_big_1

posted on 28/7/16 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi ya!

My thoughts exactly, flat pack and Sierra up rights.

I guess i would need an adaptor to change from the top mounting strut Sierra to the M18 x 1.5 transit drop long wishbone?

the_big_1

posted on 28/7/16 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
None of links work for the Haynes updates :0(

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.