Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: K-Series - Oil Cooler?
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 2/8/16 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
K-Series - Oil Cooler?

Well, I cant help myself.

I started fiddling last night, and have already amassed a list of parts I need (only had the car for two days!) But I'd like a bit of LCB guidance, as this is my first K-Series.

I have a 13 row Mocal oil cooler left over from a previous project and wondered if it was a sensible home for it in the Sylva. I've got to update the oil pressure gauge as its on the blink, and thought it might be a logical time to fit a sandwich take off and the oil cooler.

Thoughts? will it help or hinder the normal K-Series issues (HGF etc)?

mackei23b

posted on 2/8/16 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
I never ran an oil cooler in my Caterhams that had K-series engines....

All the Caterham Supergrad race cars (120hp 1.6 K series) don't have an oil cooler iether, though they did have an appolo anti caivation tank fitted to take the air out the oil.

A decent head gasket, warming the engine and not over heating the engine will keep the K series safe

Dave Andew's (DVA) will be able to give you all the advice for a K series as he builds a lot for the Caterhams.

Cheers

Ian

britishtrident

posted on 2/8/16 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
On front engined K16 engines the oil usually runs a bit too cold especially if the engine has the alloy sump.

Head gaskets are really not a major issue these days even if the engines has been extremely severly roasted in the past and has a result sunken liners the chinese SAIC head gasket will fix it unless a liners is actually below block level, in which case all that is needed is a shim under the liner's bottom end which is much cheaper and easier to carryout than it sounds. There is a lot of nonsense floating around the web about K series head gaskets and I have seen a lot of ham fisted shaded tree mechanic repair jobs. If the head gasket is failling all that is usually required is am SAIC head gasket and an inlet gasket and possibly pair of O rings for the thermsostat inlet pipe.

However be careful with your cooling system layout as because of the thermostat location these engines need relatively large ammounts of by-pass flow circulating during warm up. Personally I would always fit the PRT (sometimes called PRRT) thermostat, actually a Landrover part it is big and ugly but perfect for the job.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 2/8/16 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys - looks like it can stay on the shelf for now then!

BT - I'll look into that Land Rover part. The thermostat is quite big, so it may well have already been added.

mackei23b

posted on 2/8/16 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, agreed, quite a few of the Caterhams have been modifed to use the PRT
britishtrident

posted on 2/8/16 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
PRT Thermostat. for Land Rover Freelander 1 2.0DI Thermostat & Thermostat Housing PEM100990[/ebay]]ebay link

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 2/8/16 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
On front engined K16 engines the oil usually runs a bit too cold especially if the engine has the alloy sump.

Head gaskets are really not a major issue these days even if the engines has been extremely severly roasted in the past and has a result sunken liners the chinese SAIC head gasket will fix it unless a liners is actually below block level, in which case all that is needed is a shim under the liner's bottom end which is much cheaper and easier to carryout than it sounds. There is a lot of nonsense floating around the web about K series head gaskets and I have seen a lot of ham fisted shaded tree mechanic repair jobs. If the head gasket is failling all that is usually required is am SAIC head gasket and an inlet gasket and possibly pair of O rings for the thermsostat inlet pipe.

However be careful with your cooling system layout as because of the thermostat location these engines need relatively large ammounts of by-pass flow circulating during warm up. Personally I would always fit the PRT (sometimes called PRRT) thermostat, actually a Landrover part it is big and ugly but perfect for the job.

Thanks BT.

I've done a bit of research, but cant find anything explaining in layman's terms how to plumb in the PRT. Can you explain?

talkingcars

posted on 2/8/16 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
The PRT was also used in MG TF's.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.