Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake pipe and fittings
chris68

posted on 7/8/16 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Brake pipe and fittings

Decided to route one of the brake pipes using copper or similar from master cylinder to front t-piece, this is only going to be less than a metre long.

Been looking for pipe and fittings and the inevitable search lead me to E-bay where kits are available for about £12 with M10 brass fittings and 25 metres of pipe - this is half the price of just the pipe at some other places! The E-bay shops are various generic motor factors.

So is this stuff any good? Has anyone used it? Or is a case of leave well alone and spend out?

Your thoughts?

Cheers,

Chris

joneh

posted on 7/8/16 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
I ordered my parts from Burtons. Personally I'd prefer to assume my brake fittings are from a reputable supplier....
40inches

posted on 7/8/16 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Local Motor factor, you can see what you are buying. Our local one makes the tube to size with fittings, with no labour charge.
britishtrident

posted on 7/8/16 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Copper pipe is not recommended you want Kunifier and a decent Flairing tool the best budget buy is the Powerhand or same tool under various differenr brand names. Quality of the unions (usaully called Tube Nuts in the trade) isn't an issue but how well made the flairs are if you want to seal first time.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

russbost

posted on 8/8/16 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Have a word with Oliver at Furoreproducts,

Link to FP,

he'll make you a flexy stainless braided hose for around £20, why bother messing about with copper or kunifer, the flexy is far easier to route & clip up neatly.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
chris68

posted on 8/8/16 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply, yes the flexi types do look good - will look into this.

Thanks

indykid

posted on 8/8/16 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Quality of the unions (usaully called Tube Nuts in the trade) isn't an issue but how well made the flairs are if you want to seal first time.

I've found anything from Northern Irish motor factors on ebay are utter garbage.

I've had female joiners with thread too shallow to let the flare seat even with DIN male unions, eccentric bores in male unions and half formed hexes. I buy all brake bits from Clarik Engineering Supplies now. Perfect every time.

I'd personally rather use rigid pipe for chassis mounting, flexi where flexi is required.

nick205

posted on 9/8/16 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
When making brake pipes for my MK Indy I bought a reel of pipe (Copper IIRC) from my local motor factor. I formed the bends slowly by hand and used my Dad's kit for forming the flares. The results worked perfectly and overall it didn't take long to do the job.

[img][/img]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.