Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chris Amon --- sad
britishtrident

posted on 7/8/16 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Chris Amon --- sad

I am amazed nobody has marked the passing of Chris Amon, apart from probably being only second to Jim Clark in ability among the ranks 1960s F1 drivers he was an exceptionally nice guy. Had he driven for any other team than Ferrari he would undoubtably been a world champion.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/125598

[Edited on 7/8/16 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

sam919

posted on 8/8/16 at 06:16 AM Reply With Quote
The fact he survived is worth celebrating....... Try reading tales from the tool box, I've just finished it, best boom I've read in years

Tales from the Toolbox - Oliver, Michael NEW Paperback 31 Oct 2009 9781845841997

russbost

posted on 8/8/16 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry, somehow posted twice - removed!

[Edited on 8/8/16 by russbost]

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
russbost

posted on 8/8/16 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
I posted it on my facebook page.

Chris Amon was my childhood hero & I still think he was one of the greatest drivers of the era, he was incredibly unlucky with cars breaking literally on the last couple of laps of a Grand Prix. He did of course win at Le Mans in 1966 with Ford, but made some doubtful or unlucky choices with teams such as March & unfortunately his own GP team never had the funding to be a realistic competitor. I watched him come 3rd at the British Grand Prix after a spirited drive, Jim Clark won it. He did win some non-championship F1 races & I remember watching him at Brands, British GP 1976, I think, managing to drag the Ensign (which was far from being a top notch car) up to 3rd before it broke.

I'd always hoped I might see him at Goodwood FoS, but I think he only ever attended once or twice & I missed him

As said, a sad loss, but at least he got to make 73, it's a great deal better than most drivers of his time did ...............

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
britishtrident

posted on 8/8/16 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
At the very start of the Knockhill circuit Chris Amon was pitched the idea of starting a racing school there, wisely perhaps he didn't get involved other than a a reccie which co-incided with the first meeting.

There haven't been many drivers over the years who have had the natural talent Amon had but luck was one thing he never had, perhaps if he has stayed witch Bruce MacLaren it might have been very different and Maclaren history might have been differemt.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

tr7v8

posted on 8/8/16 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Sad, a driver of my youth. RIP Chris

Jim
2005 Porsche Cayenne S
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Sold
2010 Maxda MX5 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S (now sold)
Light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.