Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Question Cam cover 1.8 Silvertop and Cams
AdrianH

posted on 22/8/16 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Question Cam cover 1.8 Silvertop and Cams

I am wondering if anyone can just tell me is the cam cover for the silver top the same as for the Blacktop, i.,e. can I fit a Blacktop instead of the aluminium one normally on the silver, I am guessing not, but hope I can as the paint job has gone crap.

If I go from standard cams to the 130 cams in a Silvertop will the standard ECU still cope, perhaps that is a question for Big Wasa, but I think I could be OK, just wanting to check.

Possible time to up from a 1.8 CVH depending on how hard.

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

r1_pete

posted on 22/8/16 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
The cam cover will intrchange but the belt cover wont fit with the opposite cover.

Engine will run with the 130 cams but you'd not get the best out of it without re mapping.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AdrianH

posted on 22/8/16 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
OK thanks for the information I do not have a belt cover on the engine. Yet!

The ECU is the Ford Zetec one, PATS type, did not think one could remap them?

Does anyone have suitable for sale?
Adrian

[Edited on 22-8-16 by AdrianH]

r1_pete

posted on 23/8/16 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
I've no idea whether the Ford ECU can be re mapped, I'm sure someone will have a way into the code.

But changing anything such as cams, injectors etc. may give you a benefit, what I was saying is you won't get the maximum benefit without re mapping the ECU.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AdrianH

posted on 23/8/16 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
OK cheers Pete, understand better now.

It is all on the Cheep, so will see, not even sure if will fit under the bonnet at this stage as seems taller then the CVH, even with sump chopped.

Adrian

frodo_monkey

posted on 24/8/16 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
If you want a painted cam cover, I have one (in bright red) that is spare - will be back in the country in a couple of weeks. Could do it for £25?

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting."

coozer

posted on 24/8/16 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Just had my fiat remapped and asked about the Ford ecu and he said yes and can get rid of the pats as well....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

AdrianH

posted on 24/8/16 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure why not subscribed to this post of mine must check.

I have spent the past two days cleaning up the aluminium cam cover and that has been resprayed and lacquered, also in red, I really did not think I would get all the old crap off it at one point. So thanks for the offer frodo but sorted on one of them for the time being.

I was looking at swapping to the plastic ones if I could get the belt cover etc to go with it. I posted separately to try and get a belt cover for a Silvertop with out success.

This is all for an engine that has been sat under the bench for a couple of years now.

I made my own plenum for it, did wiring as per Big-Wasa's guide with a PATS ECU and got it all running, well basically on tick over. Then left it as I said under the bench.

I am now about to put it in a frame, with a rad etc and try and run it up let it get warm etc and generally see if it is OK.

The CVH is starting to smoke a bit when cold so was looking at a swap over, if the Zetec is a no go then I may replace valve seals etc on the CVH but certain things are getting harder to get for the original carb system.

With the Zetec I may have to drop the engine a few more cm's to get it under the bonnet, or I could just use it to build a second car as I have the chassis and wishbones gearbox, diff etc for it, just short of space.

Thanks for the information Coozer, nice to know although I like PAT's it gives that little bit more security if used.

Adrian

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.