Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Struggling to get car to start after fitting carbs
ProjectSi

posted on 24/8/16 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Struggling to get car to start after fitting carbs

I've just fitted a set of CBR600rr carbs to my Fiesta MK3 running a silvertop 1.8 zetec engine. I'm also using a cbr fuel pump however getting it running is becoming a bit of a heartache. The carbs seem to be weeping a bit of fuel when I try start/turn over the car. The carbs came off a zetec and were allegedly running spot on. Any ideas what could be causing this? Cylinder bores seem to be dry as a bone when I took spark plugs out :/
Mark100

posted on 24/8/16 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
just done cbr 900 I had one weeping the black flap was stuck on that one freed all four off put a tablespoon of fuel in each and it fired straight up
ProjectSi

posted on 25/8/16 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark100
just done cbr 900 I had one weeping the black flap was stuck on that one freed all four off put a tablespoon of fuel in each and it fired straight up

What was stuck the throttle flap? How did you free them? Did you have to take the carbs apart?

mcerd1

posted on 25/8/16 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ProjectSi
The carbs seem to be weeping a bit of fuel when I try start/turn over the car. The carbs came off a zetec and were allegedly running spot on. Any ideas what could be causing this?

what fuel pump are you using ?

-

ProjectSi

posted on 25/8/16 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
The carbs seem to be weeping a bit of fuel when I try start/turn over the car. The carbs came off a zetec and were allegedly running spot on. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Said in the first post Mate using the cbr600 pump

chris

posted on 25/8/16 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
have you adjusted idle mixture screws
are the floats stuck in the bowl
are the carbs level
my carbs run on 2.5 psi fuel pressure

[Edited on 25/8/16 by chris]

chris

posted on 25/8/16 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
also have you got the vent pipes open
ProjectSi

posted on 25/8/16 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris
also have you got the vent pipes open [/quote

What are the vent pipes bud? Are thEse the two small pipes sticking out above the carbs. There's also one larger one or are these vacum pipes. Sorry for the silly questions quite inexperienced with these but want to give them a go.

chris

posted on 25/8/16 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
if new how to post pictures it would be a lot easier to explain but the vent pipes are usually at the top of the carbs and should be left open to vent to atmosphere if you have fuel coming out of these I would say that your floats are stuck or not level
ProjectSi

posted on 25/8/16 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris
if new how to post pictures it would be a lot easier to explain but the vent pipes are usually at the top of the carbs and should be left open to vent to atmosphere if you have fuel coming out of these I would say that your floats are stuck or not level

Fuel doesn't come out of the pipes it comes out the carbs themselves by the looks of things. However I did have two small black pipes blanked off as I assumed these were for vacuums so that maybe the issue :/

mcerd1

posted on 25/8/16 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

but is that from a carbureted or fuel injected bike - it makes a big difference !

you said at the top that the carb's are from a CBR600RR, but as far as I know all the RR versions were fuel injected - I believe the F4 was the last one with carbs (although I'm not an expert on these bikes)

[Edited on 25/8/2016 by mcerd1]

-

ProjectSi

posted on 25/8/16 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

but is that from a carbureted or fuel injected bike - it makes a big difference !

you said at the top that the carb's are from a CBR600RR, but as far as I know all the RR versions were fuel injected - I believe the F4 was the last one with carbs (although I'm not an expert on these bikes)

It is allegedly from a carburettor powered bike. Slight mistake the pump I've bought is for the cbr600f, it says it should pump around 1.5-2psi which is about right for carbs isn't it? Is there a way to upload pictures on here?

chris

posted on 25/8/16 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
don't think there are any vac pipes on bike carbs just fuel pipes vent and de ice circuit
mcerd1

posted on 25/8/16 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
you should be able to upload pics here: http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php

then link to them by copying and pasting this bit in you posts:

quote:
It is allegedly from a carburettor powered bike. Slight mistake the pump I've bought is for the cbr600f, it says it should pump around 1.5-2psi which is about right for carbs isn't it?

only asking as its been a common problem - I believe the carbd bike pumps self regulate to about that kind of pressure (which saves the need for any extra regulator)

there are a few old posts about connecting up bike carbs - this is the best one I can find for now (ZX9R so slightly different type of keihin carb to what I think you'll have, but it should give you the right idea)

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=100648

-

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 25/8/16 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
I thought the F4 was the first of the fuel injected bikes? I used to have an CBR600 F3 (S-reg), which was one of the last carb'd models. If the pump is from a CBR 600f, just check the year of the bike it came off. Pretty sure that anything 2001 or newer will be injection, and not what you want/need.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

mcerd1

posted on 25/8/16 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec
I thought the F4 was the first of the fuel injected bikes?
google says its the F4i rather than the F4 (99 to 2000)
I guess the name makes sense at least

-

chris

posted on 25/8/16 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
don't want to hijack this thread but all my pictures are in photobucket and I just cant upload them onto this site
ProjectSi

posted on 25/8/16 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
So am I correct in saying bike carbs lack vacumm lines all together then? If so then this could be my issue, as there was one large pipe and two smaller ones on the top of the carbs which I assumed were vacuum lines. One I've hooked up to servo and the other 2 I've blanked so no wonder the fuel isn't getting through if that's the case
chris

posted on 25/8/16 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
To connect your servo you will need to have a take off point on each of the inlet branch of manifold with those four take offs going to a plenum and then onto servo some people only use one take off but I like belt and braces
ProjectSi

posted on 25/8/16 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
That's fine I'll work out how to get servo working just want sure what those pipes on the carbs were. I thought they were vacuum lines but I guess they are vents?
David Jenkins

posted on 25/8/16 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know if this helps, but here's the link to my web page regarding the CBR600 carbs I fitted to my crossflow:

Bike carbs

mcerd1

posted on 25/8/16 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
That's fine I'll work out how to get servo working just want sure what those pipes on the carbs were. I thought they were vacuum lines but I guess they are vents?

that's probably the case, but some pics would hopefully confirm it

if your struggling to upload them then you can email them to me and i'll put them on if you like

-

chris

posted on 25/8/16 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
if I post up a link it allows access to everything in my photobucket

chris

posted on 25/8/16 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
hang on how did I do that ?????????
chris

posted on 25/8/16 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
any way you can just see the vent pipes sticking out of the top between 1&2 & 3&4 these are just left open to atmosphere
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.