Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 12 v LED light power supply, whats the crack?
02GF74

posted on 27/8/16 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
12 v LED light power supply, whats the crack?

Is there anything special about the 12v led light power supplies? Can they be used to power other 12v items? (In particualr auxilluary power to a computer graphics card)

150 W for £10 Like this on ebay 281816675316

on_eighty_runner

posted on 27/8/16 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
They are described as "regulated" power supplies so should be fined.
Cheaper ones are "switch mode" and are electrically noisy which can cause interference.

150 W seems a huge amount for a graphics card?

David Jenkins

posted on 27/8/16 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
I use a couple of these in my 3D printers - they are stable and generally give close to the advertised power. I do not know how smooth the output is, i.e. ripple and noise, and how this may affect computers (my printer controllers cope all right though). It wouldn't be too difficult to add a few capacitors to the output to get rid of any unwanted ripple/noise.

You will have to be careful with the packaging, as the mains power connectors are very exposed - one of mine lives in a metal box, and the other is within the metal framework of its printer. Both the box and the metal-framed printer have protective earths.

Afterthought - I forgot to mention that the ones with built-in cooling fans can be very noisy (audio noise, not electrical noise). In their designed roles this didn't matter, but may be annoying next to your home PC. My wife usually shuts the door when I'm running a printer!

[Edited on 27/8/16 by David Jenkins]

Ben_Copeland

posted on 28/8/16 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Why would you need auxiliary power for a graphics card? Isn't your psu up to powering it?

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

02GF74

posted on 28/8/16 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
2nd card. I think psu is at its limit so would be relatively cheap way to sort* it, and no, i cant get bigger W psu since its bespoke.

* = computer freezes after maybe 30 mins, cards sit side by side so on one card there is 10 mm air gap for fan compared to fan being in free air on other card so it gets quite hot, 90 C, it could be shutting down to temp so may not be psu wattage. Im working on that too, a fan with cowl to increase amount of air to the card fan.

, annoyingly moving cards further apart is not possible due to mboard power connector getting in the way.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.