Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rivets or screws
legend

posted on 28/8/16 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
rivets or screws

is it ok to use self tapper screws on alloy panel under bulkhead the one the battery sits on ?
ReMan

posted on 29/8/16 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
Presume you mean th plate that holds wiring/fuses and stuff that can't be seen, Into the chassis tubes?
Not everyone's choice but reason why not as long as they grip ok

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

FuryRebuild

posted on 29/8/16 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
If you're going into thin sheet, no. They won't grip and will become unreliable. I'd go for nutserts for thin panels and then a good old fashioned socked-headed cap screw. Even then, nutserts can be unreliable, and you have to be careful to get a very high-quality hole (I generally under-drill by 0.5mm and them ream). Socket headed cap screws are also more reliable than the black self-tappers. You don't run the risk of damaging the cross-point because there isn't one. The socket head is supported on all sides. Westfield fasteners sell this stuff by the thousand, and it's dirt cheap.

Rivets are OK, but they're a one-way deal. Rivnuts give you a good compromise. Yes, you can drill a rivet out but it's a pain, worse if they spin, and sometimes you end up with crap rattling around in the chassis, or a larger hole than you started with.

I don't like self-tapping screws going into the chassis - again there's generally only 1.5mm for them to bite into and I've had enough work free. If you have to remount something, the screw thread will wear and you will eventually have a spinner. What's more, they create a stress-riser and cab be an ingress for water.

My favorite route now is to bond a bracket of some kind in place, or (and this is only if you can), I use a nutsert, then put a tiny tack of weld in to hold it. You can only really do this with tig. Once the bolt has been tightened into this the compressive force gives you a strong bind.

If you want to start getting deeply into this, check out Prepare To Win by Carroll Smith - it's the bible on this stuff.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

jps

posted on 29/8/16 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FuryRebuild
I'd go for nutsertsl....

Rivnuts give you a good compromise....

I wasnt sure whether rivnuts and nutserts were the same thing or some how different?

FuryRebuild

posted on 29/8/16 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
You're right. I was thinking of self locking nut plates as well. These things

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

legend

posted on 29/8/16 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
thanks guys so screws would be ok for iva?
ReMan

posted on 29/8/16 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Iva should be fine if all secure and pointy ends aren't contactable

I was thinking this sort of self tapper
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/self-tapping-self-drilling-thread-forming-screws/4831252/

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

nick205

posted on 30/8/16 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
When building my MK Indy I made an Aluminium plate for this area and riveted it to the chassis rails (also sealed it with some black sealant as well). No issues at SVA for me and it was easy to make further holes in for battery holding etc. I guess self-tapping screws would have worked, but I had the drill bits and rivets to hand so went with them - no regrets thereafter.

legend

posted on 31/8/16 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for help more question soon lol

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.