Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Audi V8 S4 test drive
roadrunner

posted on 30/8/16 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Audi V8 S4 test drive

I have been to look and test drive the Audi v8 s4 today.
Really really nice car. ;-)
Only a couple of issues to sort first before I think of parting with my hard earned cash.
Front wings started to blister. I've had this on the A4 I have at the moment. It's an easy fix to swap over replacement wings.
The other issue is the exhaust flexi's have failed. I've seen repair kit's on Ebay. Full stainless clamp on type. Has anyone tried this repair. How did it go .
Having said that. The test drive was awesome, especially with a blowing v8 exhaust. Sounded like a real American muscle car.

Brad

sdh2903

posted on 30/8/16 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Interested to hear how you get on as I'm contemplating one when my lease car goes back. For no other reason other than I don't feel I can call my self a proper car enthusiast without owning a v8!
bi22le

posted on 30/8/16 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
What year and millage?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

roadrunner

posted on 30/8/16 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
My thoughts exactly. Not a fully fledged petrol head , unless you've owned a V8.

It's a 2008 b7 with 100k on the clock.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 30/8/16 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
I had a 2003 S5 V8 Avant Manual for 2 years, it was an absolute beast. Great car to chuck around and the alpine road trip I did was one of the best drives of my life. It was such a massively capable car.

It did have some 'odd' handling traits though, watch out when pulling out from side turns onto wet roads, its easy to get into some scary pendulum tank slappers.

It was generally reliable but I had a few problems with mine, starter motor failed (they get cooked by the exhaust), seat motors failed completely, all 8 coil packs had to be replaced at 60k and it used to burst front shocks for a pass time.

Has it got the hydraulic timing chain tensioner? How rattly is the chain?

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
roadrunner

posted on 30/8/16 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure about the hydraulic tensioner, but there wasn't a hint of chain rattle on the cold start up.
olberj

posted on 30/8/16 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Had a customer with one. Flappy paddles killed it, kept shifting down 2 gears randomly.

It is as tight a squeeze in the engine bay as you can imagine, the downpipes etc are a pain in the arse. Had EML issues and was a bit of a pup.

sounded fantastic with the Milltec exhaust though and a remap made it very, very quick.

Great car if you can put up with the constant repairs, minor and major.

roadrunner

posted on 30/8/16 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
You get good and bad with all cas. I should be able to keep costs down by doing a lot of work myself, if it's needed.
samjc

posted on 30/8/16 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Phone local audi dealer or pop in as im sure their a bodywork corrosion garentee for 12years or so im told. I keep checking my a4 to see if i need to go in but look ok up to press.
luke2152

posted on 30/8/16 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure if that one is cam belt or chain but the chain driven ones suffer tensioner failures (not immediately catastrophic) which are an engine out job (chain located on firewall side). Belt driven ones use belt to drive intake cams and chain drive between intake and exhaust. These chain tensioners are also prone to failure but its much easier to access.
Also the auto gear boxes are prone to faults that put them in limp home mode (just stays in 4th gear I think).

I have a 40v A6 which I've put a 6 speed from a diesel a6 in so I can only imagine how much fun a little s4 would be.

furryeggs

posted on 31/8/16 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure the timing chain and guides have been done if its a higher mileage. The salesman will tell you that they don't need changing, but they are a common fault that is only remedied by having the engine out as the timing chains on the Audi v8 are rear mounted for weight distribution and space issues, not on the front like most engines, the guides fail/wear. I had a quote of £4500 to replace them whilst I was thinking of having one. That's why I don't drive an s4 today.

The position of the timing chain doesn't help with the rattle, its closer to you so you hear it more. Some people change to a thicker oil that is meant to help.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.