Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stuck for ideas to progress with my project
locoboy

posted on 31/8/16 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Stuck for ideas to progress with my project

I've got a deep down fascination with mechanical things (as most of you probably have too) and I also really like over engineered things, you know, chairs made of threaded water pipe , engine block coffee tables, lamps made from bicycle components and other simple every day items that are made from industrial parts!

Maybe I'm alone in this or maybe I'm not......

Anyway I have a piece of railway 'equipment ' that I have acquired and I really fancy making an industrial looking bottle opener!

It's the sort of item that would look great in a big swanky garden where there is a dedicated bbq area and would make a great conversation piece come party time!

My sister (the one with the brains in the family) has the house and dedicated bbq area and I reckon this would be a pretty cool addition to her outdoor entertaining area.

I'd could be fixed to the side of her out door covered deck area or affixed to a stand alone timber post - anyway what to fit it to is not the issue.

I can create linear movement with it but every bottle opener I have researched relies on a rotational movement to essentially ' peel' the top off.

Does anyone have any ideas (sketches welcome!) Of how I could remove a bottle top with a linear movement?

I have a vision of some kind of locater point/stop that comes from the mounting surface that the bottle cap is placed up against then move the lever and the top is removed.

See my video to get an idea of what I'm working with

[youtube]https://youtu.be/MXlnG3AcTT8[/youtube]

I'm ready to crack on and get some bits custom made if needs be, get it all blasted and painted/lacquered but I'm stuffed if I can't figure this bit out!

Cheers
Col

P.'s can't get the bleeding YouTube link to work!

[Edited on 31/8/16 by locoboy]

ATB
Locoboy

coozer

posted on 31/8/16 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

locoboy

posted on 1/9/16 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers!

ATB
Locoboy

gremlin1234

posted on 1/9/16 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
you can open a bottle on the edge of a wall, by holding the cap on the edge, and pushing the other side of the cap down.

so maybe a small edge on the backplate, and align the 'press' to push the cap down.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.