Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nearly c***ed my self this morning
AlexXtreme

posted on 1/9/16 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Nearly c***ed my self this morning

Drove to work in my G27 (it was a nice day, still school holidays so less traffic), came to the first roundabout. Went to brake and not much happened! stamped on the brakes and the rear brakes locked up and I came to a nice tail out sideways slew to a stop about 1' from a car on the roundabout.

What did I learn:
- firstly the warning light for low brake fluid did not work ;-(
- I obviously made a mistake re-building the caliper ...!

The calipers are the princess 4 pot jobs with spacers for vented discs. I had a lot of trouble to get the pistons in to run smoothly and it too a number of attempts.... thought it had sorted it and I saw no signs of leaking since I rebuilt them around 2 months ago.... I have re-built calipers before with no probs before but these seem "hard work" to get the pistons running smoothly

What could have I done wrong... the pistons were a bit corroded so was planning to get some st.stainless replacements even though they did not leak before the re-build. I guess I should use new seals for the second attempt at the rebuild (I am a bit more nervous doing this now!).

Any recommendations on how I should re-build them?
I used plenty of the proper grease
Also plan to replace the pads whilst I am at it... was planning to get some mintex pads - which pads should I get and which type (was thinking of 1144)

[Edited on 2/9/16 by AlexXtreme]

coozer

posted on 1/9/16 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Was the pedal hard or go down to the floor?

Unusual for both front ones not too work, sounds like the brake cylinder???

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

AlexXtreme

posted on 2/9/16 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
Pedal did not go to the floor but was considerable softer than normal
David Jenkins

posted on 2/9/16 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Could it be air getting in from a faulty seal?

AlexXtreme

posted on 2/9/16 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
dont think so... not stripped it down yet and there was a small patch of fluid on garage floor when I looked
AlexXtreme

posted on 2/9/16 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Just order new pistons just in case this is the issue... anyone know which pads go with the std princess calipers so I can get the job done in one go?
David Jenkins

posted on 2/9/16 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlexXtreme
dont think so... not stripped it down yet and there was a small patch of fluid on garage floor when I looked

Could be a combination of fluid leaking out and air sucking back in, through the same faulty seal or whatever. Was it just one front caliper leaking, or both?

AlexXtreme

posted on 2/9/16 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Just the one ... the one I serviced :-(
russbost

posted on 2/9/16 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
You need to go back to square one to diagnose this properly, for the pedal to go onto the 2nd part of the dual system & give rear brakes only there has to be a substantial loss of fluid, if this was from just one caliper, then you would expect significant pulling to one side from the front b4 you lost sufficient fluid to cause only the rears to work.

If you've stripped the calipers down, presumably you've had the hoses off? Are you sure you don't simply have a leak from a hose or pipe?

I would be topping up with fluid, bleeding brakes & then checking under pressure to look for the problem b4 jumping in & assuming it's a caliper, it's actually pretty rare for a caliper to leak significantly

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
AlexXtreme

posted on 2/9/16 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Russbost.. thanks and good advice. I will have a look this weekend and report back.. yes I have had the hoses off.
Thinking about it I did notice a slight pull to one side however this only occurred once or twice... feel bad about ignoring this now as it could have ended up a lot worse than it did!

AlexXtreme

posted on 3/9/16 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Brakes stripped down - it is a mess with brake fluid sprayed around the arch and soaking the inside of the wheel. One of the pads is soaked with fluid and the disc was coated... One of the pistons had leaked.... !
Have ordered new st steel pistons and already have a set of seals. I read somewhere it is easy to pinch the seals when installing them which can cause leaks. If this was the issue how do I avoid this? Is it best to use the red grease that is supplied with the kit (which feels quite thick) us use brake fluid... I do soak the seals in fluid before installation

russbost

posted on 3/9/16 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
I would guess that almost certainly that piston has been leaking ever since re-assembly, whenever doing brake work involving hydraulics you should always do a pressure check after bleeding & cleaning up. Put your foot on the pedal & stand on the brakes as tho' doing an emergency stop, hold the pressure for around 30 seconds, if the pedal gradually sinks then either you have a leak or a knackered master cylinder. Get someone else to check each corner hoses/calipers etc (or to stand on pedal while you check) whilst the brakes are under full pressure.

Always worth checking fluid level after the first few miles as an additional check, can save moments such as the one you describe

Re fitting the seals, there is no easy way, no need to "soak" the seals as such, just a wipe with fluid or the red brake grease should suffice, you need to gradually tease the caliper piston in, if you are having to apply massive amounts of force then something is wrong, seal pinched or similar, remove piston, check for damage to the seal & gently try again

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
AlexXtreme

posted on 3/9/16 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the advice... I did check the fluid for the first few weeks and did not notice any change however should have done the test as you mention below.
AlexXtreme

posted on 12/9/16 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Found the source of the problem... the leaking piston almost fell out and I found the seal that I fitted had gone very hard .... it seamed that I must have picked up a rubber seal of almost the same size compared to the correct seals from the work surface and fitted it to the calipers :-(. I am sure I would have noticed it being so rigid I am guessing that in the brake fluid the rubber hardened then after a while stopped becoming an effective seal. The evidence was pretty obvious in that I had a 5 seals left for the other caliper - ... never done anything like this before and am blaming old age! Now do all similar work on a separate clear area of the work surface

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.