Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: thoughts on this for a welding starter kit
bi22le

posted on 5/9/16 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
thoughts on this for a welding starter kit

On eBay

Wolf Mig140 Gas No Gas Gasless Combination Turbo Smooth DC Mig Welder 135amp

I have never welded before but read the various topics of advice on here to death. I want minimum outlay and as I have a tiny garage, only small equipment.

The reviews on this particular kit seems good, as long as you get one delivered that works! Apparently the hand held mask is a bad idea for new starters and a helmet itis better, which I can understand.

I want to weld car stuff only so approx 4mm steel and 6mm ali.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/9/16 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
looks the biz, you'll go through those gas bottles in no time and it'll work out quite pricey, much better renting a larger bottle or going gasless which is what I do.

Get a auto dip helmet, it will save your eye's and is more than worth the money. Welders are one of those tools that pay for themselves in no time and you wonder how you managed without one.

Also you don't need to change the polarity to switch between gas and no gas as the advert incorrectly suggests, though I think you do if welding ali.

[Edited on 5/9/16 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bi22le

posted on 5/9/16 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Do you think its man enough for the thickness of material I want to weld?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Slimy38

posted on 5/9/16 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Firstly, that RRP is way over the top. Here's the same ad on their website;

http://www.ukhs.tv/Workshop/Welders/Combination-Gas-No-Gas-MIG-140-Welder-and-Kit

As Mr Whippy mentioned, both the hand held mask and the gas will need to be replaced as they're both pretty useless.

I had it's predecessor (bought from Aldi), and it served me well for several years until it expired. I was then going to buy this welder, until I found a Clarke unit for £50 on Gumtree, and realised what I'd been putting up with over the years. The Wolf is adequate, but there are many better ones.

If you're not in a hurry, I'd recommend just keeping an eye out for a second hand welder.

Slimy38

posted on 5/9/16 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Do you think its man enough for the thickness of material I want to weld?

You'll need to put a v groove in the 4mm steel to penetrate correctly, and MIG welding aluminium isn't easy, but yes it should be able to cope.

Irony

posted on 5/9/16 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
I also on the lookout. If buying secondhand what do you guys recommend?
Mr Whippy

posted on 5/9/16 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
I'd not recommend clark as the welders I've had have been quite poorly made and the wire feeds not up to much. Welders do tend to burn out rather quickly and in summer can overheat in no time, even turbo ones. In the winter I have mine sitting outside if not raining even when welding inside the garage. A much longer earth lead is always a good investment along with a good quality vice like clamp.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 5/9/16 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I'd not recommend clark as the welders I've had have been quite poorly made and the wire feeds not up to much. Welders do tend to burn out rather quickly and in summer can overheat in no time, even turbo ones. In the winter I have mine sitting outside if not raining even when welding inside the garage. A much longer earth lead is always a good investment along with a good quality vice like clamp.

I totally agree about the earth lead, the original Wolf one was one grade up from wet string with a paperclip on the end! It cost about a tenner to replace it with a few metres of thick DC cable and a jump-lead like crocodile clip, and kept the lead when I moved to the Clarke.

For welding on a budget, I'd put Clarke above Wolf. Having owned both I prefer Clarke. When I was looking second hand, I just avoided SIP welders and anything rated less than 130A. Anything else was fair game, and it was the Clarke that popped up first.

SJ

posted on 5/9/16 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

and MIG welding aluminium isn't easy

I'm no welder admittedly but that's a bit of an understatement based on my experience!

theconrodkid

posted on 5/9/16 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

plenty info on here.
wolf are pretty pants and went bust some time ago.
you cant weld ally with that as you need AC,TIG would be better but they aint cheap in AC/DC and the gas and consumables cost fortunes and it,s very hard to learn.
second hand proper one would prob be your best bet but have a read on the above site first,full of info and helpfull people unless you ask the same question 1000000000 people have asked in the last 6 months.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

nick205

posted on 5/9/16 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
My Clarke MIG has done me well so far. I did invest in a larger Argo-shield gas bottle and an auto-darkening helmet. Seems money well spent as it made getting started easier and the gas bottle lasts a reasonable time too.

richardm6994

posted on 5/9/16 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
I use hobby weld for my gas (argon for TIG and trimix for MIG).
From memory, its about £75 for the bottle and then £35 per refill. Lasts a hell of a lot longer than those little white bottles.

For 4mm steel, I'd be looking at a 160amp welder. I'm sure 135amp could do 4mm if the joint is vee'd but 160amp gives you some spare capacity.

You can DC MIG weld ali (loads of reading on google), but I'd forget it as it's extremely tricky and far too easy to blow holes. You also need a lot more current (about 185-200).....AC TIG would be the way to go if you're wanting to weld ali.

[Edited on 5/9/16 by richardm6994]

bi22le

posted on 5/9/16 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all of the responses.

I did not want to start a new recommend me a welder post as it has been done loads on here, I have already read most of them using the search.

What has come from this, which has been very useful, is the expectation of welding 4mm steel with less than a 160A welder. Also the difficulty in welding ali.

It turns out that I am in no rush soI have created a search on ebay to keep an eye on whats happening. I have also just visited and met a local sheet fabricator and discusse them doing some work at a happy price.

Ill stay away from that one for now.

mark chandler

posted on 5/9/16 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Unless you spend £££ for a commercial machine welding Ali with MIG is a non-starter.

Have a look at TIG, DC machines are not expensive and it's much more fun

You can even make an AC TIG welder from an alternator, have a Google, just buy torch, gas and something to spin it up.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.