Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ceiling/plastering
JC

posted on 7/9/16 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Ceiling/plastering

Hi All,

In the midst of a bathroom refurb. Due to a lack of available local reliable tradespeople, I'm doing much of it myself.......

The ceiling is covered in delightful stipple. There is also a steel beam to cover and the inside of a dormer - this has previously been tiled and then skimmed over. As a result the plaster levels are all over the place!!

I think it is easiest to remove the lot an put up fresh plasterboard - this doesn't worry me too much.....execept for the outside corners. I guess the 'normal' way would be to nail metal bead over these, and skim over these and the whole ceiling.

Do I have to do this? Can I use
THIS on the outside corners and just use filler to smooth the joints and screw holes, thus avoiding any plaster?

If I do this, I presume I should use moisture resistant plaster board?

Help and advice gratefully received!

Thanks

JC

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bi22le

posted on 7/9/16 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
You need to plaster over plaster board anyway. Its not a finished surface.

Edging is to provide a lip to return to and create a straight and nice finish.

You know this, righr?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

SJ

posted on 7/9/16 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Plastering ceilings is bloody hard which is why good plasterers are hard to find and charge up to £300 a day!
garyo

posted on 7/9/16 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
watch some dry lining vids on YouTube. Taper edge plasterboard was invented exactly for people like you - that don't want to skim the whole room. You just tape and fill the joints instead. Still use a bead on the corners, but the tapered edge allows for it.

Not as good a finish as a proper skim, but 95% there if you're DIYing and have the man hours available to make a good job of it.

JC

posted on 7/9/16 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
When you say use a bead on the corner, do you mean the tape like my link, or the rigid metal stuff?

Once you have tape and filled, and suitably primed, my understanding is you can paint/tile onto plasterboard - am I wrong?

Thanks for the help so far

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
geoff shep

posted on 7/9/16 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Where in Lincs are you? We had a few walls and a ceiling done by a local chap, who I would definitely recommend, and all for less than £300. He did loads of prep and, remarkably, didn't make a mess.

I've done a plastering course and I had a go at the bathroom walls and en-suite, including the ceiling, which are not perfect but good enough. For bigger expanses, and for the bathroom ceiling I would get him in again. Our bathroom ceiling is artex and he recommended boarding over the lot and then skimming.

cliftyhanger

posted on 7/9/16 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Use rigid (metal) thin beads. http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Thin-Coat-Anglebead-3m/p/240323?CAWELAID=120135120000015024&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=17408399812&CATCI=pla-193348 858852&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping%20-%20Building%20Materials&tmcampid=&tmad=c&a mp;tmplaceref=QJztGjSp&utm_content=sQJztGjSp|pcid|43364522812|pkw||pmt||&gclid=CN2-8d_W_c4CFYOfGwod9Z0DmQ
Make sure you use small galvanised pins etc to fit the beads, otherwise heads stick up too far. Guess they could be stuck on.

I have dry lined a few places, ceilings, whole rooms etc.

It is not difficult to get a good finish, and won't need much sanding after. The trick is to use a nice caulking batt http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Decorators-Flexible-Caulker/p/600546 and don't put the filler on thick, and use scrim tape over the joints and internal corners. Otherwise it will just crack.

JC

posted on 7/9/16 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
U2U sent with location Geoff
Mash

posted on 7/9/16 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Bear in mind that if the walls are likely to get wet, even behind tiles, you need to use proper waterproof board, otherwise you'll be doing it all again in a few months.
B33fy

posted on 7/9/16 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I wouldn't redo the plasterboard. Does not take long to knock off the stipple with an old Chisel or multitool then seal with some diluted pva and spend the money you save on getting it skimmed by a pro.

[Edited on 7/9/16 by B33fy]

Irony

posted on 8/9/16 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by B33fy
Personally I wouldn't redo the plasterboard. Does not take long to knock off the stipple with an old Chisel or multitool then seal with some diluted pva and spend the money you save on getting it skimmed by a pro.

Entirely depends on how well the stipple is attached. The damp and weight of the new plaster can sometimes loosen it. Some months later someone slams a door and the whole lot comes down.

rusty nuts

posted on 8/9/16 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
quote:
Originally posted by B33fy

Entirely depends on how well the stipple is attached. The damp and weight of the new plaster can sometimes loosen it. Some months later someone slams a door and the whole lot comes down.

Also be awàre that some early Artex may contain asbestos?

JC

posted on 8/9/16 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks - there are too many bits missing where partition walls have been removed etc. to think about overbearing it

House is just over 20 years old so hopefully no asbestos.....

JoelP

posted on 8/9/16 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
I know an excellent plasterer in Mexborough, if that's anywhere near you. 160 a day, and it's ridiculous how much he can do in a day.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

owelly

posted on 8/9/16 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Overboard the lot. Tape the seams and use thin coat angle beads (galv or plastic) on the outside edges. If you can't plaster it yourself, do as much as you can with the prep and pay a plasterer to come and lob muck at it.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.