Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Air intake and bonnet vent locations
mcg

posted on 12/9/16 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Air intake and bonnet vent locations

Hi, following previous thread addressing cooling issues in my C20XE F27, I am awaiting a shinny new, and much bigger radiator.

I also wanted to help under bonnet temps by cutting in some vents so wanted to know if there is a 'best place' to put the holes, or not? I am currently thinking over the exhaust manifold itself? See picture at bottom.

Also, i wanted to get your views on the location of the air filter and its pipe work that leads to the inlet. Below shows the current position of the filter, and as you will see from the front it isnt directly in the path of the front grill. When the car was on the rollers a few weeks ago, the filter was lower (in line with the grill), but that meant a dog leg to the pipe work, which i am lead to believe caused issuse with the air supply when under load. (turbulence)

[img][/img]
[img][/img]

Below are two alternatives that i have considered. One concern is if the air in these areas is actually quite warm or not?

[img][/img]
On this one i wondered if it would take cool air from the top scoop?
[img][/img]

[img]http://[/img]

Image above shows possible bonnet vent position as well as an air scoop for 'option B' air filter.

Any help would be awesome as always!

Many thanks

Matt

bi22le

posted on 12/9/16 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
My 2p worth.

Consider adding a cowling to block air from side stepping the rad and air filter. Also this will stop your worry of the filter not being in the direct flow of air.

Regarding vents. I have a vent directly above my exhaust and it plumes heat haze out of it when staand still. When on the move I have no idea what it does but can only help I guess.

I see the air flow in the engine bay as a balanced equation. There is air being shoved in the front and the quicker and cleaner the exit the better. If you dont have a flat floor then a lot will finally leave under the car. If you can add side exits and vents at the rear of the bonnet that will help. The further forward the venting the less effect it will have when moving.

Try to direct the air and protect cold from hot as much as possible. Taking this into consideration, the last pic could work well if you seal the airfilter to the underside of the bonnet so it is only exposed to the cold air from the top vent.

If on track, consider noise. Lots of venting = lots of noise!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 12/9/16 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Air filter in nose is ok as said in last post an Ali shield between rad an filter would be good and vents at back of bonnet sides works or in lower side panels
mark chandler

posted on 12/9/16 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Never behind the radiator unless it is sealed and ducted to the outside world, heat kills power.
adithorp

posted on 12/9/16 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
That looks like expanded ally mesh in the grill. It's terrible for air flow and you might as well block off 1/2 your nose cone as use that stuff. Change it for woven mesh and you'll see a big improvement in cooling.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

mcg

posted on 13/9/16 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
great - thanks everyone. sounds like a plan!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.