Board logo

Clunky propshaft
Banana - 13/9/16 at 09:47 PM

Guys,

my recently acquired IndyBlade has a clunk sound from the rear end of propshaft/under handbrake area, when lifting off the throttle quickly (so during gear change its most noticeable)

Is there a UJ joint around there which could be sloppy?

Its too dark to go looking now

thanks

LBMEFM - 13/9/16 at 10:16 PM

Yes it's a split prop with a central uj joint and mounting. Also, although at the front end, it's also worth checking the flange bolts on the sprocket adapter that can come loose. That said from my prop from new has been clunky when not under load at slow speeds, seems to be the norm.

[Edited on 14/9/16 by LBMEFM]

[Edited on 14/9/16 by LBMEFM]

ian locostzx9rc2 - 14/9/16 at 06:13 AM

Check there's nothing loose but if you haven't got some sort of rubber damper in the prop you do get some noise as described.

Banana - 14/9/16 at 09:14 PM

All bolts checked and ok.

So are we saying its normal to get a 'clunk' from the prop area when lifting of throttle quickly?

Could it be excessive backlash in the diff?

adithorp - 14/9/16 at 09:29 PM

If diff mounts and flange bolts are tight and there's no play in the UJ's... Then its normal.

Kits tend to be noisy in that area anyway with solid mounted diff transmitting noise direct to the chassis and panel. Add in a bike engine with no flywheel to smooth things out and a dog box and you get clunks. A TRT prop helps and if you don't have one then that will make it seem worse. After a while you'll stop noticing it.

rj - 15/9/16 at 08:35 AM

I have the same issue with mine, took the cover off the diff ( Sierra viscous LSD ) and it was the backlash on the diff sun gears. I don't think it can be adjusted ?