Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ebay strangeness ?
big_wasa

posted on 14/9/16 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Ebay strangeness ?

Ok this has me puzzled so I will vent it here.

I had seen somthing I wanted on eBay and its in the next town. Being cast iron they are heavy and the postage reflected this so I sent the seller a message just saying I was local and could I collect.

No answer.

So I think sod it I am busy anyway I will pay the postage.

I then find he has blocked me so I can't purchase the item or even ask if there is a reason he doesn't want my money.

Ideas ? I don't think I've traded with the seller before.

Mash

posted on 14/9/16 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a dodgy seller, doesn't want anyone finding out where he is, and the deal is maybe some kind of scam ?

Or maybe I'm just too cynical

ianhurley20

posted on 14/9/16 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds to me he is a paper hat - or is a scammer
Ian

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 14/9/16 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
NO - you are not too cynical, no-one else can be, I take that accolade.

I would avoid this 'seller'.

benchmark51

posted on 14/9/16 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Can you check their feedback rating? Might be an Ebay 'virgin' and have accidentally stuffed up. If you still have the listing try again or click find similar items
Slimy38

posted on 14/9/16 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
In the defence of the seller, my wife does exactly the same. Any question that warrants a change in the sale terms gets a default 'no' answer and a block. It's because (and don't suggest this is directed at you) that she has dealt with all sorts of numpties that it's just easier to block them.

If they don't want you to collect, it's possibly because they've spent far too much time waiting around for other buyers who don't turn up. Or they've been scammed by someone paying paypal, collecting the item then claiming the item never turned up.

With Ebay weighed so heavily on the side of the buyer it's leaving sellers with very little choice. Click 'block' and that's one less headache.

Wadders

posted on 15/9/16 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
If it's something you can't easily get elsewhere, maybe worth getting a mate to buy it for you ? Should be safe enough if they use Paypal.
BenB

posted on 15/9/16 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
Might just be they'd artificially amplified the p+p for profit and don't want to sell it for less profit.
40inches

posted on 15/9/16 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
In the defence of the seller, my wife does exactly the same. Any question that warrants a change in the sale terms gets a default 'no' answer and a block. It's because (and don't suggest this is directed at you) that she has dealt with all sorts of numpties that it's just easier to block them.

If they don't want you to collect, it's possibly because they've spent far too much time waiting around for other buyers who don't turn up. Or they've been scammed by someone paying paypal, collecting the item then claiming the item never turned up.

With Ebay weighed so heavily on the side of the buyer it's leaving sellers with very little choice. Click 'block' and that's one less headache.

I think asking if the item can be picked up is a legitimate question, and no way deserves to lead to a block!

computid

posted on 15/9/16 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38

Thats ridiculous, and is alienating a large portion of your potential customer base. Blocking someone for asking if they can collect an item is ridiculous. The reason I buy a lot of stuff on eBay is so I can get it same day and I'm willing to drive to collect it. My feedback score of over 300 positive and no negative should give some inclination that I'm not screwing around.

benchmark51

posted on 15/9/16 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
I agree computid, if you don't want the item collected just say so. No need for blocks.
There are sellers that have items dispatched to buyers straight from the factory, they state this in the listing.
Sellers do sometimes profit from postage charges but claim that is to cover packaging cost.

Slimy38

posted on 15/9/16 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Consider the scenario. A buyer asks to collect, the seller says no (due to not wanting to wait in for buyers who don't turn up when they say). The buyer then buys the item anyway, but refuses to pay, and asks again to collect. In the meantime, the seller is stuck between a rock and a hard place, unable to sell the item but also unable to complete the transaction.

So the seller has one course of action, to open a non-paying bidder case. The buyer eventually pays up, the transaction is completed, and the seller gets a negative strike because the buyer is annoyed. Three strikes and they lose huge chunks of selling ability, another three and they're blocked. All because the buyer didn't read the ad.

As mentioned, this wasn't a reflection on anyone here, but it is representative of thousands of idiot buyers on Ebay. For the sake of alienating individuals (she's not a professional seller, just old kids clothes etc), it's much easier to block.

She didn't start off like this, she was as accommodating as any other seller. But after the twentieth person failed to turn up due to 'sorry, not been paid yet' or 'sorry, my cars broken down' we started getting fed up of losing days to these people. So it's just a flat no and block.

Don't even get me started on postage charges. She's had complaints raised that her postage charges were higher than what the stamp says (and from more than just one person). Even if she didn't charge for packaging and a few pence of fuel to get to the post office, Ebay charge fees on postage charges.

benchmark51

posted on 15/9/16 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
I have had a negative feedback that was unjustified and I complained to Ebay. They reviewed the transaction and removed the negative feedback, restoring my 100% status.

At the end of the day if the seller won't let you collect and the postage is too high, walk away from it. You need an agreement before the deal is done. If you feel you have been mistreated by a seller or a buyer then put it before Ebay, it worked for me.

I have wanted to buy items, but the seller won't send them. If the distance to collect is too great then I just leave it, and look elsewhere.

AntonUK

posted on 15/9/16 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
ebay idiots appear to be getting worse, so many seem to unable to read basic details such as 'collection only' or 'dont ask for a Buy it now'

Ive also noticed a moved from selling car part away from ebay and more to forums and facebook. A combination of the idiots and ebays greed is killing the 2nd hand side of ebay.

Build Photos Here

benchmark51

posted on 15/9/16 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
yes your right antonuk, but if they say 'collection only' , I still watch the item and if it doesn't sell I message them and ask them to reconsider. If no deal can be reached, I walk away. No harm in asking.

I've had a few good buys on forums, but do quite well on Ebay. 14 purchases so far this month, small items mostly though. You can find idiots everywhere, side stepping them is the trick.

big_wasa

posted on 15/9/16 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
The item had the briefest of descriptions. And it states he accepts collections I just thought it polite to check. All I asked was, is it ok to collect. I didn't try and bid him or ask for a deal.

As a seller I would pleased about this. Saving on the fees, my time wrapping it, time to get it sent, time wondering if the buyer has received the item in one piece or is going to try on a claim back.

I am just boggled why I was blanked and then blocked. The item didn't sell and it was relisted, but I am still blocked and I can't even ask why ?

It's no big deal. I have a couple of pairs. I just wanted a new pair for my new head. I can't imagine they are the most desirable item for the money as I often pay less for a full engine.

eBay Item

ragindave

posted on 15/9/16 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Ebay

I have asked him if I buy it now and can I collect I will let you know what response I get?
benchmark51

posted on 15/9/16 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
He looks fairly new at it. Only 33 feedbacks and only 5 as a seller. He probably fluffed something somewhere. Why not ask Ebay admin?
nick205

posted on 16/9/16 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds iffy to me (or lack of experience on his part). Personally I'm happy to have eBay sale items collected from me as long as the buyer has already paid. Saves me the hassle of posting the item. In your case I'd ignore the seller and walk away from the purchase.

big_wasa

posted on 17/9/16 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ragindave
I have asked him if I buy it now and can I collect I will let you know what response I get?

Let me guess, response = none.

ragindave

posted on 19/9/16 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Yes no response.
big_wasa

posted on 19/9/16 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
I bet your blocked as well.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.