Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Really creaky suspension
hazardpro

posted on 19/9/16 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Really creaky suspension

Hi All

Newbie questions time....

MK Indy - has really creaky suspension - anything I can do to sort if or do bits need replacing

Did do a search and found several posts but wanted to ask a fresh bearing in mind Im new to the kit car world.

Thanks in advance!

Doug

CosKev3

posted on 20/9/16 at 05:56 AM Reply With Quote
Hopefully just needs the poly bushes removing from the wishbones,cleaning up and regreasing.

Could be the crush tubes in the bushes have gone rusty though and will need replacing,does need looking at sooner rather than later as if the crush tubes are rusty enough to be seized in the bush it can cause wishbone failure.

hazardpro

posted on 20/9/16 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Hopefully just needs the poly bushes removing from the wishbones,cleaning up and regreasing.

Could be the crush tubes in the bushes have gone rusty though and will need replacing,does need looking at sooner rather than later as if the crush tubes are rusty enough to be seized in the bush it can cause wishbone failure.

Ok thanks that's very helpful. I try to take a look.

Doug

nick205

posted on 20/9/16 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
I'd second the above advice - dismantle the wishbones, bushes and crush tubes, clean and apply fresh grease on reassembly. On my MK Indy I did this on the first winter and it made quite a difference. Free rotation and less noise too. I would also add that it's worth paying attention to the length of the crush tube vs the distance between the outer faces of the bushes in the wishbone. If the crush tube is too short it can make the bush bind in the chassis brackets, If the crush tube is too long it can allow the bushes to slide back and forth along the crush tube. IIRC I had to file a couple of crush tubes down slightly to achieve a crush tube length of +0.5mm longer than the distance between the outer bush faces.

Hope that helps and some photos of your work would be useful for us to observe and comment on.

ETA...I did think I'd like to add grease nipples to the wishbone tubes where the bushes go. My reason being it would mean you could inject more grease into the bush in situ. My reason for not going down this road was my perceived idea that it might weaken the wishbone tube and you'd have to trim the bushes to give space for the inside of the grease nipple.

[Edited on 20/9/16 by nick205]

Banana

posted on 20/9/16 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
HI Hazard. Im in the same boat as you. Just started stripping my new creaking Indy.

Thankfully my crush tubes/bushes seem ok, but did need a clean up.

Link is here if your interested.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/66/viewthread.php?tid=205898

Would you mind comparing your front upper wishbone mounts to mine? (Bottom set of photos in thread)

Im referring to the gap being taken up with a washer each side.

Do you have any pics of your new Indy?

hazardpro

posted on 20/9/16 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Banana
HI Hazard. Im in the same boat as you. Just started stripping my new creaking Indy.

Thankfully my crush tubes/bushes seem ok, but did need a clean up.

Link is here if your interested.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/66/viewthread.php?tid=205898

Would you mind comparing your front upper wishbone mounts to mine? (Bottom set of photos in thread)

Im referring to the gap being taken up with a washer each side.

Do you have any pics of your new Indy?

Great stuff - ill take a look.... at the moment Im clearing out the garage to make room for her! Then ill start stripping them down and will report back

What sort of grease should be used? Silicone Grease?

Doug

indykid

posted on 20/9/16 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, silicone grease. Don't buy the carplan stuff in a tube though, it's more like silicone oil - neither use nor ornament.

Mine creaks on the rear because the wishbone brackets are in the wrong place so the bushes rub on the faces of the brackets. It's on the long term jobs list, but I haven't remedied it yet.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 20/9/16 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Also make sure the bush tubes are long enough so the pony bushes aren't pinched by the bracket

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Matth93

posted on 20/9/16 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem on my car cleaned and regreased the bushes but it came back after a few months ( ok I do use it in all weather which might not have helped). I have since redone them using rubber grease and have had no problems since
hazardpro

posted on 20/9/16 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matth93
I had the same problem on my car cleaned and regreased the bushes but it came back after a few months ( ok I do use it in all weather which might not have helped). I have since redone them using rubber grease and have had no problems since

'rubber grease'?

Can you supply a link to product please?

Doug

Matth93

posted on 20/9/16 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
I've found some of what I used on eBay here is the link (hopefully)

GRANVILLE RED RUBBER GREASE 500g TUB FOR HYDRAULIC SYSTEMS AND BRAKING SYSTEMS

rusty nuts

posted on 21/9/16 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Any decent motor factor shoul be able to supply rubber grease .
hazardpro

posted on 21/9/16 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like I can buy a whole set for the MK Indy for £70... I think if Im going to go to the trouble of stripping them all down, might as well stick new ones in!

I also want to get the wishbones powder coated again.... just a question.... will i have to get all the camber / tracking etc setup again when I put it all back together or is it sufficient just to mark the rose joints threads (so I can put it back together again the same) - hope that makes sense!!?

Doug

Slimy38

posted on 21/9/16 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hazardpro
Looks like I can buy a whole set for the MK Indy for £70... I think if Im going to go to the trouble of stripping them all down, might as well stick new ones in!

New ones should still be greased...

Ben_Copeland

posted on 21/9/16 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
If you can put them back exactly as they were. Should be ok. Just make sure the same wishbone and same rosejoint goes back the same place.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

adithorp

posted on 21/9/16 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
If you're getting new bushes it might be worth getting stainless crush tubes as well. MK usually supply mild steel that rust and cause issues.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

hazardpro

posted on 21/9/16 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
If you're getting new bushes it might be worth getting stainless crush tubes as well. MK usually supply mild steel that rust and cause issues.

Ok thanks... Anyone know where I can buy SS tubes and bushes?

Banana

posted on 21/9/16 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Wisbech Engineering do them for £1.60 each
http://www.wisbechengineering.com/

Are you getting the Poly Bush kit from MK?
If so id be careful - ive not been able to contact them for weeks...

hazardpro

posted on 21/9/16 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
They do the bushes too?
SJ

posted on 22/9/16 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
Mine creaked loads from new, and the bushes were packed with proper silicon grease. Over the years the creaking has reduced. I have occasionally put some motorbike chain lube on them which quietens them down.

I should probably strip and check them at some point as they have been together for 10 years now.

rusty nuts

posted on 22/9/16 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
Mine creaked loads from new, and the bushes were packed with proper silicon grease. Over the years the creaking has reduced. I have occasionally put some motorbike chain lube on them which quietens them down.

I should probably strip and check them at some point as they have been together for 10 years now.

I suspect your crush tubes are too short causing the bushes to be clamped rather than the crush tube, easy way to check is bounce one corner of the car to check
the noise level then slacken off the wishbone bolts , renounce , if the noise is reduced the crush tubes are too short.

SJ

posted on 22/9/16 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by SJ

I suspect your crush tubes are too short causing the bushes to be clamped rather than the crush tube, easy way to check is bounce one corner of the car to check
the noise level then slacken off the wishbone bolts , renounce , if the noise is reduced the crush tubes are too short.

Maybe, but when I put them together they all moved very smoothly and quietly and didn't seem to bind at all.

hazardpro

posted on 22/9/16 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Are these any good for the MK Indy??

Haynes Roadster Locost Wishbone Bush set - Rear in Black Polyurethane PRO

[Edited on 22/9/16 by hazardpro]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.