Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: E Bay sellers
LBMEFM

posted on 20/9/16 at 05:44 AM Reply With Quote
E Bay sellers

Looking at buying a cheap day camper van but I have also noticed on other items I have looked at in the past on eBay. Am I right to feel uneasy or suspicious when advertisers say they are selling on behalf of a friend/mate/brother/father etc. Why do people do this, it's simple to open an eBay account or Is it a way of saying if it all goes wrong " nothing too do with me, it's not mine" although as it's on their account I would assume they are still responsible.
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 20/9/16 at 06:00 AM Reply With Quote
If the vehicle is a private sale you have no comeback anyway , if there's a contact no for the person who's selling it that's the person your dealing with and e/bay is only being used to advertise it pics and description so it's upto you to make the correct checks to make sure it's ok
BigFaceDave

posted on 20/9/16 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
I'm a eBay seller and I'm forever getting people saying "ooohh I've got something you could sell on eBay for me" although I have learnt to avoid doing it as its always more hassle than it's worth. On the other hand it's not that easy to set up a selling account as they make a big thing about linking bank accounts to PayPal etc (just To make sure they can collect there commission) and if your not very computer literate it would be a nightmare!
nick205

posted on 20/9/16 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
Personally it puts me off the item, surely the seller could manage Autotrader or another method. One approach would we to insist on meeting the genuine seller when you go to look at the vehicle before bidding.

Slimy38

posted on 20/9/16 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigFaceDave
On the other hand it's not that easy to set up a selling account as they make a big thing about linking bank accounts to PayPal etc (just To make sure they can collect there commission) and if your not very computer literate it would be a nightmare!

This. Even if you do get everything set up properly, chances are your feedback will be quite low (and zero for sales) so people may be reluctant to buy from you anyway. It's also ridiculously easy to mess up on fees etc, and do yourself well and truly out of pocket.

The only thing I'd worry about the whole 'selling on behalf...' bit is I'd still want to make sure I bought the car from the location it said on the V5. Apart from that it wouldn't bother me who's account it was, as mentioned it doesn't give you any more protection on things like cars.

steve m

posted on 20/9/16 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
I have also sold a couple of things on ebay for a friend, as both of there computer skills, are zero
He has a laptop, that is switched on about twice a year, and She has a tablet, that She watches iplayer, on and reads books and that's about it
Neither of them have used the internet for more than a few minutes at a time

So there are people out there, that are not PC savvy, hence "the selling for others"

Personally, I would not have an issue buying or selling a car, on ebay, if the log book was in a different name, as long as the real owner could be present or have some contact

Just remembered, I sold my Fathers car on ebay, same surname as me, and different address,

never had any issues with any one

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

jonabonospen

posted on 20/9/16 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigFaceDave
I'm a eBay seller and I'm forever getting people saying "ooohh I've got something you could sell on eBay for me" although I have learnt to avoid doing it as its always more hassle than it's worth. On the other hand it's not that easy to set up a selling account as they make a big thing about linking bank accounts to PayPal etc (just To make sure they can collect there commission) and if your not very computer literate it would be a nightmare!

+1

MAC#1 ZX10R WORX BUILD BLOG: http://mac1-zx10r-worx-build-blog.tumblr.com/

MY PERSONAL BLOG: http://jonabonospen.tumblr.com/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.