Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Replacing lost V5
vonmoogen

posted on 20/9/16 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Replacing lost V5

I'm hoping you guys might be able to help out with a friends problem. He has a 1966 Alfa (Guilia I think) which he bought without a V5 some time ago. Unfortunately the number plates weren't with the car when he bought it and he doesn't know what the reg was. He tried some years ago to get a replacement V5 but was told due to the age of the vehicle the documents were still in paper form and they couldn't search for the car using the VIN or engine numbers ( he thinks it is some time since it was on the road). Now this was a while ago so don't know if the situation has changed. To complicate matters the car is in Ireland ( and I think he bought the car over here).

Has anyone got an idea how he could try to get the V5?

Thanks.

Rob

chris_smith

posted on 20/9/16 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
could he contact Alfa? maybe they have records of the VIN / Engine number and can match that to a reg?

The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows."

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/9/16 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Mental how does he even know the car is really his?! Could have just been stolen of the street.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
vonmoogen

posted on 20/9/16 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris_smith
could he contact Alfa? maybe they have records of the VIN / Engine number and can match that to a reg?

Haha. Knowing the Italians I'd be amazed if they had any records going back that far. May be worth trying the owners clubs though. Thanks

Rob

vonmoogen

posted on 20/9/16 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Mental how does he even know the car is really his?! Could have just been stolen of the street.

That'd be my concern. He seems confident its legit though. I think he thought it would be easier than this when he bought the car to get a V5. He doesn't have much experience with the DVLA though being Irish.

Rob

Shooter63

posted on 20/9/16 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Surely the 1st thing to do is get it registered in Ireland as that's where the car is, then once the car is here it should be straight forward.

Shooter

chillis

posted on 20/9/16 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Break it for spares, - seriously, No V5, no reg plates/number. After that Bugatti cloning incident the DVLA ain't gonna listen to a sob story, they want proof of ID, last name on log book, old MOT's etc which your friend does not appear to have. If its never been on the DVLA ie never had a V5 then the DVLA will consider it as having never existed.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

vonmoogen

posted on 20/9/16 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, should have been clearer with my original post. Car was originally a UK car and is now in Ireland. He would need the paperwork from DVLA before it could be registered in Ireland. He'd consider breaking it. It's just that it'd be worth more if he could get a registration.

Rob

prawnabie

posted on 20/9/16 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Get a traders HPI on the VIN and then fill out a V62 (if they still do them) for a logbook. I did it for an old mini someone dumped on a friends farm and failed to torch it properly (after the police said it was ok to assume ownership of it!).
perksy

posted on 20/9/16 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vonmoogen
quote:

Haha. Knowing the Italians I'd be amazed if they had any records going back that far. May be worth trying the owners clubs though. Thanks

You might just be surprised

A good mate had a 1963 Alfa and contacted the boys in Italy who supplied all the info they had about the car
They even supplied the details of the dealer in the UK who imported it

SteveWallace

posted on 21/9/16 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Owners club might be a good place to start. I know that with my 1949 MGTC, there are records available via the owners clubs that you can search for registration details based on chassis number and engine number.

However, you may find that the paper records no longer exist. In my case, the original DVLA records were lost in a fire so even though I know what the original registration number was (I still have the plates) and can match the chassis and engine numbers, I will be unable to use it and will have to apply for an age related plate and new V5 when I've finished restoring it and am ready to put it back on the road.

vonmoogen

posted on 21/9/16 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
Get a traders HPI on the VIN and then fill out a V62 (if they still do them) for a logbook. I did it for an old mini someone dumped on a friends farm and failed to torch it properly (after the police said it was ok to assume ownership of it!).

Any idea of how to do this if you're not a trader?

Rob

vonmoogen

posted on 21/9/16 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perksy
quote:
quote:

You might just be surprised

A good mate had a 1963 Alfa and contacted the boys in Italy who supplied all the info they had about the car
They even supplied the details of the dealer in the UK who imported it

Very interesting. I've just looked up the museum and they say it was set up in 1960 with all sorts of documents. Do you know if it was the document centre that your friend contacted?

Rob

perksy

posted on 21/9/16 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Think that was them ?

He's a member on the owners forum aswell and found some info on there iirc

Something like Alfaholics.com or .co.uk ?

vonmoogen

posted on 21/9/16 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perksy
Think that was them ?

He's a member on the owners forum aswell and found some info on there iirc

Something like Alfaholics.com or .co.uk ?

I spoke with my friend today and he had actually already contacted them and had some info from them. Looks like he'll need to get a trade HPI to obtain the reg.

Rob

prawnabie

posted on 21/9/16 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Hi

The garage I work at did the HPI using the chassis, might be worth asking around the hpi people to see if anyone offers this on a one off request

vonmoogen

posted on 21/9/16 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hi

The garage I work at did the HPI using the chassis, might be worth asking around the hpi people to see if anyone offers this on a one off request

Thanks. I'll let him know. He might be able to access a trader in the UK through one of his cousins.

Rob

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.