Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Material to cover foam seat
Benzine

posted on 26/9/16 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Material to cover foam seat

Evening all,

Last year I made some steel benches to go in a horse trailer to convert it into a shooting trailer. This year I've been asked to put some cushioning in it as the beaters were complaining about sore bums. I have lots of foam that's suitable but I'm not sure on a material to put over it. Needs to be waterproof as the trailer roof is like a sieve, needs to put up with abuse and be locost. Hay bale plastic wrap would be locost, but I imagine zips and keys would go through it pretty easily! Doesn't have to look slightly pretty.

Any ideas?

[Edited on 26-9-2016 by Benzine]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
twybrow

posted on 26/9/16 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Old sacks, either hessian or plastic? Or some cheap vinyl as would be used in kit cars!?
gremlin1234

posted on 26/9/16 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
Evening all,

Last year I made some steel benches to go in a horse trailer to convert it into a shooting trailer. This year I've been asked to put some cushioning in it as the beaters were complaining about sore bums. I have lots of foam that's suitable but I'm not sure on a material to put over it. Needs to be waterproof as the trailer roof it like a sieve, needs to put up with abuse and be locost. Hay bale plastic wrap would be locost, but I imagine zips and keys would go through it pretty easily! Doesn't have to look slightly pretty.

Any ideas?

just hay bale, no wrapping, let it drain quickly. with vinyl you will get pools of water too.

edit reading other replys, hessian covered hay bale is good ;-)

[Edited on 26/9/16 by gremlin1234]

trextr7monkey

posted on 26/9/16 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
This may sound rather bizarre but hear me out. I once visited a Buddhist Temple near Ulverston and they had wooden beam benches covered with a length of closed cell foam Karrimat which was warm to sit on and did not absorb water . Could be perfect for your purposes would not need covers and mud could be hosed/ scrubbed off

[Edited on 26/9/16 by trextr7monkey]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

LBMEFM

posted on 27/9/16 at 05:12 AM Reply With Quote
As above closed foam is available at carpet shops, it's budget underlay sold by the metre for a couple of quid. Just right for the purpose so they can be comfortable on their way to destroy the beautiful wildlife.
nick205

posted on 27/9/16 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Make them walk - better for them and cheaper for all.

Benzine

posted on 27/9/16 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the suggestions, all.

Agreed that shooting birds is silly. I neither shoot nor eat animals so not a dream job.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
LBMEFM

posted on 27/9/16 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Good man Benzine

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.