Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: m. o. t. query
nick-york

posted on 26/9/16 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
m. o. t. query

Hi! I took my van in for its mot today. I told the bloke there that I'd put a new tyre on the spare wheel and that it was in the back of the van because I couldn't fit it under the van in its normal place. he said he wouldn't even look at the spare wheel because it wasn't part of the mot test! now I've always thought that it was checked and that it had the legal requirement of tread on it. I'm sure it used to get checked. so have they changed the mots or have spare wheels never been checked please?
adithorp

posted on 26/9/16 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Spare tyre isn't part of the test. Never has been.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Slimy38

posted on 26/9/16 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
So the view that illegal spare tyres should be taken out before an mot is just an urban myth?

I have to admit, it's something my dad told me, and I've always assumed it to be true!

theduck

posted on 26/9/16 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
I was also under the impression the spare had to be legal if present.
adithorp

posted on 26/9/16 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
So the view that illegal spare tyres should be taken out before an mot is just an urban myth?

I have to admit, it's something my dad told me, and I've always assumed it to be true!

Yes.

...and the rear wiper/washer and reverse lights don't matter either.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

CosKev3

posted on 26/9/16 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Does seem stupid it doesn't get tested if fitted,as if you need to use it and it's bald what's the point of carrying it!

MOT manual states:

Tyres fitted to the road wheels only. The vehicle presenter should be informed when it is noticed that there is a defective tyre on a spare wheel.

gremlin1234

posted on 26/9/16 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick-york
Hi! I took my van in for its mot today. I told the bloke there that I'd put a new tyre on the spare wheel and that it was in the back of the van because I couldn't fit it under the van in its normal place. he said he wouldn't even look at the spare wheel because it wasn't part of the mot test! now I've always thought that it was checked and that it had the legal requirement of tread on it. I'm sure it used to get checked. so have they changed the mots or have spare wheels never been checked please?
no they do not need to be checked
quote:

This inspection applies to tyres fitted to the road wheels only. The vehicle presenter should be informed when it is noticed that there is a defective tyre on a spare wheel.

edit 'ditto'!

[Edited on 26/9/16 by gremlin1234]

posted on 27/9/16 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
I have a spare wheel on the back of the Seven, but the tyres are directional.

Must remember to only get punctures in the near side wheels.

Paul G

rusty nuts

posted on 27/9/16 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
Carrying an illegal spare is an offence ,possibly under the construction and use regs , intent to use etc but as others have pointed out it is not a testable item . Another thing that isn't tested is the speedo operation
nick205

posted on 27/9/16 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
My understanding is also that the spare wheel/tyre doesn't get inspected. To me it seems daft as what would you do with the spare in the event of a puncture...fit it to the car.

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/9/16 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Carrying an illegal spare is an offence ,possibly under the construction and use regs , intent to use etc but as others have pointed out it is not a testable item . Another thing that isn't tested is the speedo operation

what happens if you get a puncture? surely at that point the spare (or old wheel) is less than legal

there is no requirement to carry a spare at all and certainly no rules as to what you can carry in the boot of your car....drugs or dead bodies excluded

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
benchmark51

posted on 27/9/16 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
I have a spare wheel on the back of the Seven, but the tyres are directional.

Must remember to only get punctures in the near side wheels.

Paul G

That's why I only bought 4 new tyres, they are directional. I have a good tyre as a spare that isn't
directional so can go either side and get me home. I have now got a puncture outfit and mini compressor,
I have used them before and they do the job. Just in case of double puncture

loggyboy

posted on 27/9/16 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Spare tyre is not mentioned C&U except for regs relating to the use of temporary tyres (such as speed and weight of vehicle).
Speedo has been tested in MoT since 2012.

[Edited on 27-9-16 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

SteveWalker

posted on 27/9/16 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
I suppose the problem is that there is no requirement for a spare, so it would be rather harsh to fail an MOT just because there was a wheel in the back that you might never intend as a spare.
benchmark51

posted on 27/9/16 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to remember years ago 60's - 70's, if you were nicked for a defective tyre you could also be done for an illegal spare. So if you had 4 baldies on the car and another in the boot you would get an endorsement for each tyre and the fine.
rusty nuts

posted on 27/9/16 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:

Spare tyre is not mentioned C&U except for regs relating to the use of temporary tyres (such as speed and weight of vehicle).
Speedo has been tested in MoT since 2012.

The speedo isn't tested it only has to be present with a largely unbroken screen . It is not tested to check it's working !
If stopped by the boys in blue , if they check the condition of the spare which is subsequently found to be illegal you can be prosecuted
for intent to use. If the spare is flat you cannot be done! I don't know which regulations apply which is why is wrote possibly Cand U.

gremlin1234

posted on 27/9/16 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The speedo isn't tested it only has to be present with a largely unbroken screen . It is not tested to check it's working !
it would fail if its clearly inoperative, and its backlight has to work

ianhurley20

posted on 27/9/16 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benchmark51
I seem to remember years ago 60's - 70's, if you were nicked for a defective tyre you could also be done for an illegal spare. So if you had 4 baldies on the car and another in the boot you would get an endorsement for each tyre and the fine.

Where on earth did that come from! You really must be having a giraffe.
That never happened.
Balldies on the ground yes but why would something you are not obliged to carry and was in your boot carry any penalty!
Forget it - didn't happen.

loggyboy

posted on 27/9/16 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
Can some people not read manuals? or do they just assume that their mate knows everything or that because they were told it once it must be true?
If someone ever corrects me i make sure i check before spouting further misleading rubbish.

From the MOT manual

Reason for Rejection
1. Speedometer not fitted.
2. Speedometer incomplete, clearly inoperative or the dial glass broken or missing.
3. The speedometer cannot be illuminated.

And there is no such thing as a law for intending to use an illegal spare tyre. That is just blatantly wrong.

Heres a list of offences... none mention a spare or intent to use.
https://www.gov.uk/penalty-points-endorsements/endorsement-codes-and-penalty-points

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.