Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Making a strut compressor
Slimy38

posted on 1/10/16 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Making a strut compressor

I have a bit of a job ahead of me this weekend, a spring replacement on a mark 3 mondeo. I've done loads of springs before, and the technique isn't difficult. However, looking online suggests the springs themselves require a considerable amount of compression, far more than probably most other cars I've worked on. The springs are about 20 inches long with only half a dozen loops, which makes normal spring compressors challenging to use.

I was thinking of making some sort of strut/spring compressor to help me remove the spring from the strut, and I could do with some inspiration. I've got plenty of square tube, and some threaded rod. I was thinking of welding up a basic three legged clamp that I could use threaded rod to wind up the tension. To be honest, it probably would just be a home made version of regular spring compressors, but I'd want to make it pretty beefy.

Alternatively, I could pick up a bottle jack from Machine mart (a 1 ton jack is £10), and use that with the clamp instead.

Has anyone put something like this together? Or are there any easier methods to compress Mondeo springs?

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 1/10/16 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Yes yon need a big Spring compressor for them if it's broken then use normal Spring compressor tools to get the tension off then take it to friendly garage to refit is safer as they are under a lot of tension .
theconrodkid

posted on 1/10/16 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnz65M4OYys if you are feeling brave

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Slimy38

posted on 1/10/16 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnz65M4OYys if you are feeling brave

Perfect, that'll do for me!! And a nice comfy seat while you work as well!

owelly

posted on 1/10/16 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
I used my lathe to compress Mondeo springs...... Bottom of strut in the three jaw and a simple ring attached to the tool post to hold the top cup.
In the past I've also used a four post lift but as it's just possible you don't have a big lathe or a four post lift, I once made a device for squishing motorbike rear springs. It was a plate bolted to the floor welded to a bit of vertical 2" box which eas bolted to the wall with a long handle bolted through it. The handle was hewn from two bits of 2" angle that fit over the spring cap. You put the buttom of the strut on the steel plate with the handle over the cap and then get a fat mate to push down on the handle.

ETA...: just like in the youtube video above!!

[Edited on 1/10/16 by owelly]

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 1/10/16 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
The normal technique for fitting long front springs on moder fwd cars is to compress the spring in 2 stages using 2 sets of normal spring compressors.
Getting the old one off is easy -- angle grinder
Using one set of compressors lightly compress as many coils a you can --- always work symetrically then grab an extra coil or two with the other set of compressors again work symetrically. You might need to remove the first set of spring compressor and take another bite to get enough compression.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Slimy38

posted on 1/10/16 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
I've found this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0w8xoeEvJI

What I like about this design is that it compresses with the strut in place, which makes removal and installation of the unit very easy. But can anyone suggest what the plate is at the bottom? I've got some 5mm plate, maybe with some hollow section welded on the back for additional rigidity?

For the top hooks I'd actually use the hooks off my standard spring compressors, I wouldn't want to make something open ended like they've done.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 1/10/16 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Two sets of Spring compressors will work just remember whatever you use a compressed Spring is a very dangerous thing and can do a lot of damage if it comes loose so be very careful
Slimy38

posted on 1/10/16 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
I've just had my first look at it. I thought it had broken at the bottom, turns out it's broken at the top and is slowly wearing a groove through the top mount. Luckily I caught it early!

However, there are only two coils left, so I may not need any compressor to remove it!! I have a feeling once I jack the car up properly the spring might actually unmount itself.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 1/10/16 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Getting off shouldn't be to must of an issue its getting back together with a new spring they are very long and have to be compressed a lot
adithorp

posted on 1/10/16 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Be VERY careful! If the clamps slip, the spring will escape at great velocity and break anything that gets in it way. The shape (long and few coils) of the Mondeo spring makes it very possible if using twin compressors. Having been hit in the face by one I can tell you it isn't a pleasant experience.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

rusty nuts

posted on 1/10/16 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Is it worth the risk? Take the strut off and take it to someone with a decent spring compressor. I've also seen a spring making a bid for freedom, luckily no one was hurt but it could have been very serious
prawnabie

posted on 1/10/16 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a proper ford compressor but I'm 30 miles away from you in redditch
nick205

posted on 3/10/16 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a normal pair of spring compressors and have changed front strut springs on a number of cars over the years. Not the easiest of jobs and as above the worry/risk of a spring breaking free does make you watch what you're doing. Compressed springs can contain a huge amount of energy and the injury/damage potential from them is high. BE CAREFUL!

For some jobs a friendly garage is a safer bet. Last time I had to replace a front wheel bearing I removed the upright and took the whole thing + new bearing to a local mechanic with a press. He did the job in minutes and without risk to me.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.