Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA Pass at Norwich
ianhurley20

posted on 3/10/16 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
IVA Pass at Norwich

And its a first time pass as well!
Arrived early and waited for them to open. The tester, Dennis, a really nice chap arrived at about 0745 and opened up. The test went really well, emissions first and well within which was good as I hadn't been able to test my car with its new weld in CAT. Then we rolled on to lights and the dipped lights were too low but I was allowed to adjust them so no issues. Then general checks of the car, no idea what the tester was really looking at. He wasn't happy with a radius on my aero screen, a bit of rubber edge trim and sorted. Onwards to brakes, took ages with tests done with engine running and without as I had a servo fitted and the brakes had to perform correctly with or without it working. Next speedo check. I have an MX5 gearbox which would usually match with a 4.1 diff. Mine has a Sierra 3.92 diff. Normal tyres are 185/60 x 14. Mine 195/45 x 15. When you do all the calculations it should give a result that was within 1% at the standard MX5 speedo.... and it did! 2 mph high across the range which is brilliant. Then it was a drive by the examiner and he came back saying self centering of the steering was not good enough. He gave me time to look at it and I added some toe out and he took it for another drive. Success! Finally it was noise. I was fairly confident on this one. I had a 400 cell cat welded in and it was followed by a 24" x 7" stainless silencer, and it sounded nice. 4,500 rpm and it gave me 94 db which was the final test passed.
Throughout the tester Dennis was brilliant. He explained what was going on throughout and gave me the opportunity to fix the minor things he found which could have caused me to fail.
Next thing is to get registration with DVLA sorted and I'll be ready for a - er - nice - November drive :-)

adithorp

posted on 3/10/16 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one!

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Toprivetguns

posted on 4/10/16 at 05:29 AM Reply With Quote
Well done that man!

I added a very nicely worded letter with my application and got my V5 back within 10 working days.

Congratulations again, especially a first time pass.

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

HowardB

posted on 4/10/16 at 05:40 AM Reply With Quote
Congratulations

Look forward to the all important pictures, especially with the fab autumn colours

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Jamesc

posted on 4/10/16 at 06:26 AM Reply With Quote
Well done Ian!
ianhurley20

posted on 4/10/16 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamesc
Well done Ian!

Thanks for letting me follow your car through the IVA test when it went through at Norwich, it helped me no end when mine went through. And thanks for all the other replies, I've got to sort out a couple of photos of it on the road then ;-)
Just wading through all the paperwork for registration at the moment

Jamesc

posted on 4/10/16 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
quote:
Originally posted by Jamesc
Well done Ian!

Thanks for letting me follow your car through the IVA test when it went through at Norwich, it helped me no end when mine went through. And thanks for all the other replies, I've got to sort out a couple of photos of it on the road then ;-)
Just wading through all the paperwork for registration at the moment

No problem, I'm sorry I didn't make it to your IVA test to help out, but it appears you didn't need it anyway!

Let me know know if you need any help with the paperwork, although it's reasonably straight forward. Looking forward to a meet up when the registration is sorted!

CosKev3

posted on 4/10/16 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
Well done!
tims31

posted on 4/10/16 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
And its a first time pass as well!

Congratulations - well done

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 4/10/16 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Well done always a good feeling need to see some pics now
ianhurley20

posted on 5/10/16 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Raceway
Raceway

This is the car a few days before IVA when I got access to the Swaffham Raceway. I did about 100 laps and could have carried on. Brilliant. Gave me the opportunity to try everything out. Glad I did as when I got home I found I have lots of toe out. On looking the very nice wishbones made from stainless steel by a professional TIG welder had been made with only 3mm plate steel on the lower wishbone and both sides had bent badly at the lower ball joint. IVA was booked and no time so I got a properly made set from Phil @ Talon. Problem solved! I'm going to see the welder who fabricated them to ask why he used 3mm steel not 5mm as specified in the book mainly to stop him doing the same to someone else.

[Edited on 5/10/16 by ianhurley20]

ianhurley20

posted on 15/10/16 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
And just 11 days after IVA I have a registered car. Must say Dannielle at Kits and rebuilds has been an absolute star! I phoned to ask how long the lead time was and she immediately said she would find the file and sort it the same day - and she did!
So now its legally on the road. I took it out for a 25 mile ish drive and the car is er brilliant and terrifying at the same time. Performance, brilliant, steering, very precise, so much so that you have to stay on top of it all the time, no relaxing, hmmm wind buffet is a bit of an issue at higher speeds so the next project is a screen - and maybe a hood - oh yes and side screen. Its taken 2 years to get this far, looks like another two to go!
Cost? £3030.21 to date! Just finally added up all the receipts :-)

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 16/10/16 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Well done must be one of the best budget builds this year yes windscreen and side screens is the way to go and a half hood for rain showers I found it impossible to drive my kitcar without a screen if you do a crash helmet is a must .

[Edited on 16/10/16 by ian locostzx9rc2]

ianhurley20

posted on 16/10/16 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Agree completely on the crash hat, I don't want to get hit in the face by stones, insects and particularly raindrops ;-)

Toprivetguns

posted on 16/10/16 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
First thing I did was treat myself to a lid. Didn't fancy a bumble bee in the face at speed.

[Edited on 16/10/16 by Toprivetguns]

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.