Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Securing a brake pipe tee union
birdii

posted on 13/10/16 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
Securing a brake pipe tee union

Morning,

I've read somewhere recently that for IVA a rivnut is not an adequate means of securing a pipe tee union. Can you guess how I have already done mine???

So is there any truth in this? I've looked in the manual and the wording is quite open to interpretation "adequate strength and unlikely to fail prematurely" and "All components must be suitable to withstand the stresses, vibration, corrosion and ageing (allowing for routine maintenance) to which they may be subject".

Is there anything in the manual that I have missed? If its a risk I will weld some small plates on and bolt through these but that's gonna be fiddly and spoil my paint!

Cheers
Dan

Toprivetguns

posted on 13/10/16 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
If your worried that it might fail you could simply drill through the frame and use a plastic spacer, then a nyloc nut on the other end.

Its better to put a worry out of your mind and concentrate on the next issue.

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

mcerd1

posted on 13/10/16 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
or rivet on a small plate and bolt the union to that (no welding needed)

-

loggyboy

posted on 13/10/16 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Sort of an urban myth based on one persons fail, who failed on a badly fitting rivnut. If the rivnut is well fitted and secure then there will be no issues.

Mistral Motorsport

loggyboy

posted on 13/10/16 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=130451
Check a few posts down

because he could wobble the t-piece slightly by wobbleing the brake hose it was un-acceptable this was totally due to the riv nut which was properly put in but still seemed to flex (m8 steel rivnut btw so it wasnt a crap one). not really an issue to rectify its a simple fix to drill right through and put a bolt and nyloc on it. and will save all you guys getting a fail for it

Mistral Motorsport

David Jenkins

posted on 13/10/16 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
I used single and double plastic stand-offs that clip into a small hole in the chassis tube. Very neat, hold the pipe securely, and much the same as used by the big car manufacturers. Something like this: Demon Tweeks

tims31

posted on 13/10/16 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
If your worried about it just drill the bolt and wire lock around it, thats what I've done just to make sure.

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

big-vee-twin

posted on 13/10/16 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Mine passed with rivnut no problem earlier this year.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

birdii

posted on 13/10/16 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Some really good info thanks. I can't really see how a plate held with rivers is any better than a rivnut, it's the same mechanism for gripping? Anyway one of my tee's is held directly with a rivnut, the other is on a bracket that's held with a rivnut. I think the later I will change as it doesn't look all that neat. Is there any issue with a bolt welded to the chassis rail? Quite limited to what I can do as I can't get a drill in now, not enough space.
This is the problem when you leave your build for 3 years, ideas change!
Thanks

snapper

posted on 13/10/16 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
A brake T connector is usually connected to hard brake pipes not flexible rubber pipes
So as long as you can't wiggle the T piece you'll be fine

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

sdh2903

posted on 13/10/16 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
This was picked up a few years ago when I put my last car through iva. A couple of people got fails because there was no locking device. It seems to be one of those things that certain testers pick up on. Manufacturers of certain kits started welding tabs on to allow them to be nut and bolted. It's one of those things that if you did get a fail for it you'd be gutted.

I would use a spring washer and/or wire lock it as above as a minimum if it's a hassle to change to a nut and bolt.

ianhurley20

posted on 13/10/16 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
No problems with my rivnut held T piece at IVA 10 days ago!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.