Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wrapping exhaust to meet exterior projection regulations?
Joshy

posted on 13/10/16 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Wrapping exhaust to meet exterior projection regulations?

Hi all,

I have fabricated my exhaust downpipe and silencer assembly as shown in the photo below. I've used a V-clamp just after the downpipe exits the body panel and a band-clamp to join to the silencer.

I'm planning to wrap the entire exhaust system with fibreglass heat web in order to meet the exterior projection regulations for my IVA. Will this be sufficient or do I need something more 'permanent'?

Thanks
Josh

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 14/10/16 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
are you sure you need to ?

I can't recall the diameter of the bowl, but it looks like it will hit the panel on the car and the pipe, not the band by the panel, same goes for the band near the silencer, will it actually be hit?

as long as you radius the lip on the silencer I'd say you would be ok, subject to the above.

ReMan

posted on 14/10/16 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris_Xtreme
are you sure you need to ?

I can't recall the diameter of the bowl, but it looks like it will hit the panel on the car and the pipe, not the band by the panel, same goes for the band near the silencer, will it actually be hit?

as long as you radius the lip on the silencer I'd say you would be ok, subject to the above.

Ditto
Though I expect a neatly and purposefully wrapped pipe should not be an issue either

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

loggyboy

posted on 14/10/16 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Looks to comply already to me. Wrap after incase the clips that hold the wrap cause problems?

Mistral Motorsport

nick205

posted on 14/10/16 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
From the photo it looks OK to me, wrap has to be secured with some form of metal clip anyway so could add failure points in itself.

big-vee-twin

posted on 14/10/16 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Did that on mine, passed no issues. In fact its still on

[img] Screen2
Screen2
[/img]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Mr Whippy

posted on 14/10/16 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Just mind the risks to children etc who may touch the hot bare metal when parked. Much better to wrap it or have a shield over it. I still have a big scar on my arm from very briefly touching a hot down pipe years ago, with a kid that could be their hands or face...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jumping jack

posted on 16/10/16 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
I have taken great care to create a rear exhaust exit on my special as I remember my cat being nosey and putting his paws on the side exit silencer so he could look inside................he was not there long!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.