Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Castle Combe Sprint
jeffw

posted on 22/10/16 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Castle Combe Sprint

Had a fun day out at the last of the season sprint at Castle Combe today. Ended up with 3rd overall and 1st in class with a 76.39 sec run

Caught up with another Locostbuilder who was double driving a slightly mad Reliant Scimitar Sabre.

The run from the pit lane to 120 mph took 10.04 secs, which isn't bad at all ....!

[Edited on 22/10/16 by jeffw]

daniel mason

posted on 22/10/16 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
How are you finding the sprint slicks?
ettore bugatti

posted on 23/10/16 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
Looked quick from the banking.

DSC_2646 by ettorebugatti, on Flickr

More of the day here:
https://flic.kr/s/aHskKopC8U

[Edited on 23/10/16 by ettore bugatti]

jeffw

posted on 23/10/16 at 05:36 AM Reply With Quote
Nice piccy !

Can I steal that?

Did you have a good day?

[Edited on 23/10/16 by jeffw]

jeffw

posted on 23/10/16 at 05:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason

Good, after Snetterton 100 I've got cold tear on the fronts which I suspect are now shagged. It was pretty cold at Combe so they struggled with temp as well. I need to go through the front end as there is something loose/damaged which makes braking feel a little odd and I need to up the spring rates front and back by quite a bit.

jeffw

posted on 23/10/16 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
So, from a dirty start line, on cold tyres, round a bend and up an incline to Avon Rise

FuryRebuild

posted on 23/10/16 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Nice work - got me motivated to get into the garage and work on mine.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

CNHSS1

posted on 23/10/16 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Good to meet you Jeff. Your cars a well guided missile but the flamaage over the finish line was just showing off... ;-)

The start tarmac, in fact first 25m is dreadful at Combe hard and slippy, so on decent tarmac your launch would have been significantly better, although much better and I think you'd need to swap the nomex for a 'G' suit!

My cars looking very secondhand after a hard season, and the odd attack by the scenery, lots of work over the winter, but a great finish to the year.

Team 'Light Sabre' working hard between runs...

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

CNHSS1

posted on 23/10/16 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Ettore

Any pics of 814/114?

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

ettore bugatti

posted on 23/10/16 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Nice piccy !

Can I steal that?

Did you have a good day?

You mean borrowing? That's no problem. Send me a PB with your e-mail and I can give you the bigger version too.

Any day on Castle Combe with cars going round can't be a bad day.

ettore bugatti

posted on 23/10/16 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CNHSS1
Ettore

Any pics of 814/114?

DSC_2644 by ettorebugatti, on Flickr

and

DSC_2630 by ettorebugatti, on Flickr
?

CNHSS1

posted on 23/10/16 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
Yep just like those :-)
Cheers,
Craig

scimjim

posted on 23/10/16 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw Caught up with a slightly mad Locostbuilder who was double driving a Reliant Scimitar Sabre.

Fixed that for you

phelpsa

posted on 23/10/16 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason

Good, after Snetterton 100 I've got cold tear on the fronts which I suspect are now shagged. It was pretty cold at Combe so they struggled with temp as well. I need to go through the front end as there is something loose/damaged which makes braking feel a little odd and I need to up the spring rates front and back by quite a bit.

As long as they're soft they're fine. You should see the state of the slicks I did the 128sec double lap at Blyton on, and they still felt good.

I've found that the A15s don't work brilliantly below about 12deg, they always feel a bit wooden at end of season Curboroughs!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jeffw

posted on 23/10/16 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CNHSS1
Good to meet you Jeff. Your cars a well guided missile but the flamaage over the finish line was just showing off... ;-)

The start tarmac, in fact first 25m is dreadful at Combe hard and slippy, so on decent tarmac your launch would have been significantly better, although much better and I think you'd need to swap the nomex for a 'G' suit!

You should see the flames when it has warmed up

The car is pretty quick these days, 0-120 in 10 secs seems adequate. It was nice to put a face to the name

daniel mason

posted on 23/10/16 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
I had to heat gun mine after last Anglesey round. Fronts were carrying about 5mm of debris and dead rubber. You could really tell the car wasn't turning in as it should
CNHSS1

posted on 23/10/16 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Jeff

Yep good to meet you and have a look at the fury.
Looking at your car I thought your fronts are a little narrow

What diff are you running BTW?

jeffw

posted on 23/10/16 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, need bigger wheels/tyres. The Phoenix (Fury, what Fury !1!!!!!) is running 13x6 fronts and 13x8 rears currently. The plan is to end up running 13x8 front and 13x10 rears which will allow much larger tyres but it will require widening of the arches.

Diff is a 3.54 English with a Quaife ATB

CNHSS1

posted on 23/10/16 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Lol, that's as bad as calling a wife by an ex's name!
Apologies Phoenix
Yeah 13x8 and 10s would help for sure. The one front had odd wear that looked like the carcass 'folding' due to too narrow a rim
Didn't realise it was live axle, assumed it was Sierra based, but what do I know can5 event get the car right!

Very impressed with the delivery, as vice free as 400hp is ever gonna be, a great package

jeffw

posted on 23/10/16 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, people don't believe me when I say it is easy to drive (well it must be for me to be able to do it) and isn't a complete animal. You've seen it now and can appreciate that it is a complete pussy cat

The front right tyre had a line created by something rubbing against it (which is solved now).

CNHSS1

posted on 23/10/16 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Having driven a turbod car with a little less power and wider rubber I appreciate the delivery on your car. In fact I was even more depressed when I asked about the racelogic and you don't bloody use it! My turbo delivery is pretty savage and that's even after Dave Walkers work on the map.
Like all these things, small tweaks make a huge difference, busy winter for me, so look forward to finding the missing seconds next season ;-)

jeffw

posted on 24/10/16 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
What times did you two end up with?

CNHSS1

posted on 24/10/16 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
81s which wasn't unhappy with although with fresher boots and a few other minor geo tweaks there would've been a 78 in it. Was suffering a front end vibration, could've been pickup or maybe a bearing and snap oversteer out of the chicanes and Quarry most most worryingly at Camp. My co driver had a huge moment in P2.
What did you end up on in the end? Low 70s I'm guessing?

jeffw

posted on 24/10/16 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
76.39 but there was lots left on the table, especially into the last corner which we don't normally run. Should have been 73-74sec but there was something odd going on underbrakes.

CNHSS1

posted on 24/10/16 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Good time mate. Peg Asus always run the last corner for the October meeting, makes my bottle rattle! Seen a few in the wall there over the years.

My old Sports Libre scimitar in 2008, damp on slicks around Camp--but plenty of aero, great fun :-)

[Edited on 24/10/16 by CNHSS1]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.