Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Carb setup for my locost r1 project
R1lover182

posted on 24/10/16 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Carb setup for my locost r1 project

Hi there everyone over the past 3 years me and my dad have been building a locost seven with a r1 4xv engine and the car is now 99% complete as having issues with bogging due to having carbs and running a ram air foam filter I currently run with a zx6r standard exhaust can just wanted to tap into your wonderfull experience and know how as not sure if I spend £150 on a dynojet carb kit if its a waste of time will post some pictures soon thank
jimgiblett

posted on 24/10/16 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Obviously the jets that are in there are for the standard bike setup? Changing to a foam filter and exhaust will alter the fuelling requirements, even if the the zx6r silencer doesn't (is the zx6r more restrictive than an r1 can?) My r1 can was more restrictive than a re-packable perforated pipe version but a bit quieter (with the TTS / Dynojet kit my r1 carb engine foam filter and fisher 5" can it over- fuelled slightly but generally good, when fitted with the baffled r1 can it bogged down really badly, particularly at the bottom rev range).

Realistically you will need to have it set up on a rolling road to get the best fuelling but before you do this make sure your carbs are nice and clean as they may have clogged / varnished up it they had old fuel in them for much time.

I am running a FI set up in my Fury nowadays making it all a lot simpler to set up.

Jim

[Edited on 24/10/16 by jimgiblett]

R1lover182

posted on 24/10/16 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimgiblett
Obviously the jets that are in there are for the standard bike setup? Changing to a foam filter and exhaust will alter the fuelling requirements, even if the the zx6r silencer doesn't (is the zx6r more restrictive than an r1 can?) My r1 can was more restrictive than a re-packable perforated pipe version but a bit quieter (with the TTS / Dynojet kit my r1 carb engine foam filter and fisher 5" can it over- fuelled slightly but generally good, when fitted with the baffled r1 can it bogged down really badly, particularly at the bottom rev range).

Realistically you will need to have it set up on a rolling road to get the best fuelling but before you do this make sure your carbs are nice and clean as they may have clogged / varnished up it they had old fuel in them for much time.

I am running a FI set up in my Fury nowadays making it all a lot simpler to set up.

Jim

[Edited on 24/10/16 by jimgiblett]

Excellent thank you I will try your setup with the slightly over fuelling and will buy the dynojet kit just one question when you say 5 inch fisher can do you mean a r1 race can?

Every rolling road place I rang said they either do bikes or cars not bike engine cars any suggestions on places to take it I am in Norwich?

Yes I would have gone down the fi route as well if id have known these issues would occur.

Thanks again

CosKev3

posted on 24/10/16 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
You really need it setting up on a rolling road with AFR reading equipment, with the emphasis being on setting up the part throttle fueling correctly.
WOT fueling is easier to get right than part throttle,but over fueling at part throttle will soon knacker a bike engine.
I had 145 main jets in my R1 with open filter,but mine also has had headwork.
Another thing to do is block off one of the holes in each throttle slide,this stops them opening as fast as they would on the bike.
Also the air correctors were blocked off on mine.
Had mine set up at Bailey Performance and it was spot on

R1lover182

posted on 24/10/16 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
hi thank you for the advice would you happen to remember how much it cost you to get it set up there?
I have now ordered dynojet kit and a race can so will try those first then maybe will try taking it to be rolling road tuned thank you for all the help and advice.

CosKev3

posted on 25/10/16 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
IIRC it was half a day for a rejet and set up, £125.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.